Home Craftsman Windows???? Houston TX

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
CDFITE

Home Craftsman Windows???? Houston TX

#1 Post by CDFITE »

I am looking at purchasing some Home Craftsman Windows from a company in Houston. They are vinyl single hung windows, with double strength glass. Although they look fine on the display, I can not find ANYTHING about these windows except one website out of Dallas, that does not have a phone number. Anyone familiar with these windows???
Any input is appreciated.

Windows on Washington

Re: Home Craftsman Windows???? Houston TX

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Randy....?

There is a very qualified installer in your region by the screen-name of Randy.

Eric

randy

#3 Post by randy »

Home Craftsman is a window to be avoided, unless you are putting them into a rent home or a flip home (pocket sill, thin vinyl wall, bad welds, etc.....). If you're looking for a quality product, you might consider Simonton, Sunrise, or Gorell. NT Windows would even be a better choice than Home Craftsman, for about the same price.

Hope this helps.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Randy ,
Is there state wide licensing in TX?

randy

#5 Post by randy »

Unfortunately, no. And as a result, we're starting to see a lot of roofers, fencers and every other trades installing windows. As far as I know, we're the only company in Houston that actually insulates around the perimeter of the window. Everyone else is still using the caulk and walk method.

I'm convinced that within the next four years, much of my business will be redoing shoddy window work.

CDFITE

#6 Post by CDFITE »

What is the name of your company in Houston Randy? Are you an installer or window distributor as well?

thanks,

randy

#7 Post by randy »

I own a local window replacement company, but the rules of the board prohibit soliciting business. It keeps the pros who are only interested in drumming up business for themselves away, and allows the remaining pros to simply provide a service to homeowners who are looking for help.

I would be happy to answer any other questions that you might have though.

CDFITE

#8 Post by CDFITE »

I am looking for an inexpensive window. I realize there are much better grades of windows more expensive than my budget, but I am on a budget to get the windows replaced. I am looking to replace 19 windows in my home. I need a mfg that is equivilant dollar-wise to Home Craftsman or Gentek.

Can you tell me anything about Gentek windows? or the Simonton single hung???

Thanks!

randy

#9 Post by randy »

You might take a look at the Don Young vinyl single hung or the NT vinyl single hung. Both are better choices than Home Craftsman. To be honest, I'm not familiar with Gentek at all.

Another possibility would be Sunrise Essentials if your windows aren't too large.

Don Young windows are made in Dallas and the NT window is made in Ft. Worth.

CDFITE

#10 Post by CDFITE »

Another quick question...i get different answers depending on which company is quoting....in Texas, do ALL windows that are close to the ground have to be tempered glass.....2 places told me ALL windows 18" or less from the floor....and 2 companies said all window sidelights and the windows that fall under a specific area measurement (can't remember the formula). It makes a big difference on the quote.

Thanks for your help.

randy

#11 Post by randy »

If the glass is within 18" of the floor AND over 9 sq. ft. of solid glass, it must be tempered. Often, Houston homes have 36 x 72 oriel single hung windows across the front. In this case, the bottom sash will be under 9 sq. t. and therefore does not need to be tempered. If you were to put a picture window or casement into the same opening it would have to be tempered.

Any window within 24" of the jamb of an exterior door must also be tempered, as well as any window in a tub/shower or in a stairwell.

Hope this is clear enough.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

Most people miss the "AND" in the code and call for tempered glass just because of the floor proximity. The code should be the minimum level of safety protection so by all mean, get tempered if you have children that you think could fall through the glass and impale themselves but for most people, that is a moot issue.

CDFITE

#13 Post by CDFITE »

how are comfortworld windows? I received a quote from them as well. They looked like really good windows, but then I know there is so much more to it than "looks". My neighbors used Home Depot and they are happy, however, it has only been 7 months. Do you think that Home Depot carries a good window at an affordable price?

randy

#14 Post by randy »

Have you looked at any of the brands that I recommended earlier?

As to Window World, in any industry there is always a market for companies that fight over who can do something cheaper than anyone else. There's nothing honorable about a company finding the cheapest product it can find and then hiring subpar installers to put them in.

If you're have a new fence installed or the house painted, it might be worth taking a shot. When it comes to replacing windows, getting a new roof, installing new siding, or having your foundation repaired, cutting corners is never a good idea.

Home Depot at least uses the Simonton window line (last time I checked), though they tend to be overpriced.

Don Young is a Texas based company that makes vinyl windows as well. They will be priced close to the Home Craftsman. You might give them a look, they have an office here in Houston.

CDFITE

#15 Post by CDFITE »

Thank you for all the information you have provided. I went to the website for Dan Young, and will set something up in the next week. One of the dealers I was working with came back with a quote for Simonton Prism Bronze. Any thoughts on this brand? i have ruled out Window World and also Gentek. This whole process is stressing me out! What Iliked about the home craftsman was the double strength glass and metal insert sash (hope i am saying that right).

Do you know if Dan Young comes with double strenght glass and metal insert on the sash?
Once again, thank you for taking your time to answer my questions.