Alside Excalibur & Harvey Classic Quotes

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
mbryan44

Alside Excalibur & Harvey Classic Quotes

#1 Post by mbryan44 »

Alside Excalibur & Harvey Classic Quotes came in. I live in the Boston area.

I have 12 DH windows and 2 large "Bay" (I think) windows. One has one big windows in the middle and a small DH window on each side. The other has three small DH windows making up one unit. The quote was for 14 units if that makes sense.

What do you think? I really liked the contractor and feel confident in his install.
Alside Excalibur - $7500.00
Harvey Classic - $8700.00

Both have grids upper and lower.

Thanks in advance

Windows on Washington

Re: Alside Excalibur & Harvey Classic Quotes

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

That is Harvey's backyard. If those are my two choices, I am going with the Harvey window.

mbryan44

#3 Post by mbryan44 »

I guess I had higher hopes for this message board.........

Here is an update since I had to figure out for myself that $7500.00 was too much for 17 DH and 1 Picture Aside Excalibur windows with grids (upper & lower) installed. I recieved another quote from another contrator for $4570.00 for the same exact window and job. So it looks like I'll be saving myself almost 3000.00 dollars.

My lesson here was that contractors that specialize in windows recieve the best price from the factory because of the volume they order. So... that savings can be passed on to the consumer and the contractor can still get his $100.00 a windows installation fee.

Thanks and I hope this helps someone.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

How are you "disappointed" with the board? You presented two options and I said that based on the information provided, the Harvey is the better window. I would not put an Alside window in my home regardless of price. The one consistent recommendation you will get from this board is to do the foot work on your end of things and get multiple quotes regardless of what you think (great deal, etc.) in the first one.

That is a great price on those windows. At around $250 and opening, you may have gotten a great deal. Regardless, I would research on what are best practices and make sure that the window is installed as effectively as possible to maximize the windows chance at performance.

copykatpro

#5 Post by copykatpro »

I live in the area as well and I'd recommend shopping around a little more. If you're looking for the cheapest than you probably found what your looking for. If you want something better that will last a long time then I would check out some other brands. Those big bay windows you have are usually pretty pricey and based on the price you've been quoted for your entire job, I 'd guess the windows you've been promised are junk and I'd be worried about the installation too. I like Harvey and I haven't heard anyone complain about them. Their customer service seems to be decent too. You could do worse but at the same time there are other quality windows to compare them too. My guess is Alside would only be appropriate if you were planning on flipping a house for profit.

mbryan44

#6 Post by mbryan44 »

Thanks WOW for your advice but one response was't going to cut it for me - sorry!

As for research and shopping around I'm done. I went with a reputable company that has great references and a great track record. I certainly wasn't looking for the cheapest window i could find. I wanted a middle of the road window that has good reviews that would hold up and wouldn't bankrupt me. The window qualifies for the Tax credit so it's not the Alside model people install to flip houses - I saw that one too. It's a freakin window! My installs will be simple - I have no siding and no weight wells - pop out and pop in with some insulation. Paint a bit and if there is any issues I am covered by both the manufacturer as well as the company. Then move in about five years and transfer the warranty.

The Harvey in my opinion is way too boxy looking and didn't have the metal reinforcement making it feel flimsy. I also wasn't a big fan of the block and tackle sash.

Thanks to both of you for responding.

3 weeks to install - Yipee!

pandc

#7 Post by pandc »

hello I am looking at the same Excalibur & Harvey Did you ever decide?

mbryan44

#8 Post by mbryan44 »

I certainly did...... I went with the Excalibur and I am very happy with my decision.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

mbryan44 wrote:I certainly did...... I went with the Excalibur and I am very happy with my decision.
Did you already get your windows installed or are you happy with your decision based on the price that you got?

mbryan44

#10 Post by mbryan44 »

The windows are on order and should be installed in a few weeks. I am very happy with the decision I made based on all my research in general. Based on my quotes and extensive research I feel that I got a good window for a very good price and that my friend is exactley what I hoped to achieve. The company is very reputable and the installers are too!

Pack a bag I got new windows!

windowmike

#11 Post by windowmike »

Seems to me that's 18 windows in total. This must be a "Slammer" No new trim, nor capping, nor foam insulation, nor expensive caulk. Please prepare for workmen by readying for all work to occur rapidly. Let us know how installation goes please.

mbryan44

#12 Post by mbryan44 »

No new trim needed - No capping needed (I don't have siding) - As for Foam insulation, I certainly hope not! - Expensive caulk (Good One!).

My instructed preparation is to take down the blinds and that's it. Remember it's a window, not brain surgery. I have no weight wells just standard windows and I estimate a half hour per DH. I have a few front windows that are going from 2 awning and 1 picture to two DH so that should take a couple hours. 2 days tops.

I'll let you know how I make out.

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

mbryan44 wrote:No new trim needed - No capping needed (I don't have siding) - As for Foam insulation, I certainly hope not! - Expensive caulk (Good One!).

My instructed preparation is to take down the blinds and that's it. Remember it's a window, not brain surgery. I have no weight wells just standard windows and I estimate a half hour per DH. I have a few front windows that are going from 2 awning and 1 picture to two DH so that should take a couple hours. 2 days tops.

I'll let you know how I make out.
Capping is not tied directly to siding and only required in those applications. Capping is for cleaning up the install location or capping trim wood and designed to provide a maintenance free exterior and help weatherize the opening. Foam insulation is not a must but is a best practice in installing new windows. The foam provides little insulation value but rather air seals the new window and provides secondary structure and water infiltration protection. Expensive caulk is not a joke. If the cheap stuff worked as well, it would sell better and be used by everyone. You ultimately get what you pay for when it comes to installation materials.

I don't think any pro in here would claim that window installation is brain surgery, however, we have all seen some pretty horrible jobs that were completed by otherwise competent handymen. There is certainly a skill set that a good installer has vs. a poor installer. I am concerned that you purchased your windows on price alone and your installer may put the windows (albeit not brain surgery) in "correctly" but as cheaply as possible without taking into consideration best practices. A good window can perform horribly if not hung right. I might even encourage you to purchase the foam and dispensing gun for your contractor to use during your installation.

windowdude

#14 Post by windowdude »

[quote="mbryan44"]Remember it's a window, not brain surgery.[quote]

Thanks I almost forgot.

Using the search function on this site or doing a google search for reviews on the Excaliburs isn't brain surgery either.

...but I guess doing the "quote" thing might be... :oops:

ksteb

#15 Post by ksteb »

I am wondering what the final cost was for excalibur? Looks like 17 DH and a picture window w/ grids. Exactly what I'm looking to do. Live in NH. What install company did you use?