Schuco Technical Questions

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Window10

Schuco Technical Questions

#1 Post by Window10 »

A Schuco salesman recently explained to me that Schuco uses a soft low-e coating with titanium, which is better than the silver that others use. He also explained that tempering Schuco windows was very expensive because of the titanium. I searched the Schuco-USA website and could find nothing on titanium. Does anyone have more information on this?

Every salesman has told me I need to temper the the lower panes in my two LR DH windows since they are full length and closer than 18 inches from the floor. One salesman, however, stated if the window area was smaller than a certain amount (I believe he said 9 sq feet) you do not need to temper. Are the tempering regulations local or national standards?

My Schuco salesman gave me the option of putting in casements or DH for the same price. Is a casement a more efficient window than a DH?

Can Schuco put grids in their inline slider?

Thanks in advance for your help.

HipKat

#2 Post by HipKat »

Titanium is very efficient at blocking heat. I'm not as familiar with the effects of silver, so I can't say which is better, but my belief is that it's titanium, since it's used in alot of applications that depend on blocking heat, like the skins of airplanes, etc.

In alot of places, tempered glass in the lower panes is required for 2nd story bedroom areas, etc, that are closer than 18" from the ground. I never heard of that on the first floor though. The whole idea is safety in that a kid can't as easily smash through an upstairs window and tumble to the ground, for instance. Where are you from anyhow?

Casements are the most efficient window there is. Schuco's casement u-value is a .16 I believe, but they're ususally a lot more expensive than a double hung, so if he's REALLY giving them to you for the price of the DH's then thast's a good deal, depending on what he says the DH's cost. Remeber, no one sells at list price, so that could be a pitch he's using. It's like the "buy-back" program alot of people have. "We'll buy back your old replacement windows for 150.00 each!!!" Yeah, and then sell you new ones for 1000 each, where they could be discounting that 150.00 anyhow plus more. Researching this board will show you that Schuco has the best ewindows, but alot of their dealers are pretty shady. Not all of them, though.

And yes, you can put grids in the slider.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Re: Schuco Technical Questions

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Window10 wrote:My Schuco salesman gave me the option of putting in casements or DH for the same price.
Many Schuco single casements could be about the same as a doublehung, especially small to medium ones. The larger single casements may be more because of the bracketed pricing on casements. Any double casement will definitely be more than double hungs.