Windows being installed Friday-what to look for?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
voldaddy

#1 Post by voldaddy »

I have really enjoyed reading this site for the last couple of months. I read a lot here and had demos done and went with Window World. My windows are being installed Friday. I know the install is as important as the window itself. I know the basics: making sure the windows are plumb and open/close/lock easily, & caulked. What else do I need to look for? On the capping trim-how should it be done? Thanks to everyone that offers their expertise to this board to help novices such as myself.

eberry

#2 Post by eberry »

This is the exact question I wanted to ask today. I don't have windows picked out yet, but plan to soon. What can novices look for to ensure the installers are doing a good job?

Of course, checking out their previous installs beforehandis one way, but what can we also do as the install happens to prevent problems down the road?

Guy

#3 Post by Guy »

Here's a link to go to and print off. Hope it helps!

http://www.installationmastersinc.com/pages/9/index.htm

Mass. window guy

#4 Post by Mass. window guy »

be sure they score the paint where the moldings come together. This practice will generally allow for the moldings to come off with less paint damage.
Many old houses have several layers of paint, and if the carpenter hap-hazzardly removes the inside stops it will result in alot of spackle, sanding and painting. Sometimes it is unavoidable!
Another thing is not to pull the old nails out of the molding. I suggest cutting or clipping the nails off flush with the back side of molding, and re-nailing through a different spot. If you try to bang the nail back through the front of the molding it will result in a large splinter of wood that will need to be filled later.
This of course is only if the moldings are NAILED not SCREWED.
The simple ones are the real old houses that have screws to hold the moldings in place and are stained not painted (no chipping paint to worry about)

voldaddy

#5 Post by voldaddy »

Guy,

Thanks for the link. I printed it and will watch for the things listed to be done.

Thanks to all other that have replied or are going to!

romr

#6 Post by romr »

Man Guy, it's too bad you're not located in Southern California, you'd be doing my windows right now. It's so hard to try to find an honest person now days....

Guy wrote:Here's a link to go to and print off. Hope it helps!

http://www.installationmastersinc.com/pages/9/index.htm