Preservation Window Replacement

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
n8shaw

Preservation Window Replacement

#1 Post by n8shaw »

We are in the process of gathering information on our window replacement project. We got a quote from a local installer for Preservation Series Energy Max (triple pane, Krypton gas, non-metal spacers, etc...) and haggled him down to $837/window. There are a total of 19 windows. We have three sets of two side-by-side windows that we are converting into dual sliders, but the rest are standard replacements. We don't have any large or unusually-sized or shaped windows.

My questions are:

1) How is the pricing?
2) Are the Preservation windows as good as the rep said and that I have read online?

We are located in the Hampton Roads area of VA. Our house was built in 1985 and has all original wood windows.

Thanks!

Windows on Washington

Re: Preservation Window Replacement

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

The fact that you haggled him down to $837 is my first indication that this is not someone that I would contract with.

So, if you were not a good negotiator, he would have happily charged you much more money... :roll:

I do not like that kind of business model to start with.

Getting back to the window that you were pricing out, is it worth the $837 per opening....not at all. There are far better windows out there for far less money.

n8shaw

#3 Post by n8shaw »

Thanks for the reply. The installer definitely used high-pressure sales tactics, which we was aware of. I agree that I don't always like them, but that is how the game is played sometimes right?

We have decided to cancel our contract with them and continue researching and getting quotes. I received another bid for B.F. Rich Vintage windows that was much lower at $6300. It was an online quote though, so I am sure it will be higher if we decide to talk with the installer. Any thoughts on B.F. Rich windows and the quote amount?

I plan on trying to find a local Shucho dealer as well to see what they have to offer. Are there any other manufacturers those on the board can recommend?

pondscum

#4 Post by pondscum »

I've seen the same handful of brands recommended over and over here during the past few months: Gorell, Okna, Simonton, Soft-Lite, Sunrise. I also looked into Thermal Industries, Great Lakes, and Harvey upon suggestions here or elsewhere.

Browsing the board archives, I saw a lot of recommendations for Shuco, but their US operation was sold recently and they are now Force V. Since then, it seems the buzz about this brand has completely dropped off.

randy

#5 Post by randy »

I've seen the same handful of brands recommended over and over here during the past few months: Gorell, Okna, Simonton, Soft-Lite, Sunrise. I also looked into Thermal Industries, Great Lakes, and Harvey upon suggestions here or elsewhere.

Browsing the board archives, I saw a lot of recommendations for Shuco, but their US operation was sold recently and they are now Force V. Since then, it seems the buzz about this brand has completely dropped off.
Is there a question in there somewhere?

pondscum

#6 Post by pondscum »

randy wrote:Is there a question in there somewhere?
Is there an attempt to answer the OP's question in there somewhere? :mrgreen:

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

You will likely find this same answer in other threads, however, the Sheffield window (the model the Preservation is based upon) is fraught with design issues. It has a clip in sill extrusion (as opposed to a welded sill), snap in glazing bead/lift rail (I have personally had 3 failures on me), bulky extrusion (aesthetic issue and hard to define, however the purpose of a window is to look through it and the Sheffield does this more poorly than most), and clip in interior sill damn (again as opposed to welded or mortised into the frame and I have one very unhappy customer with this shortcoming) are just a few of the issues with that window.

I would seriously expand my search and the choices are quite limitless based on that type of budget.

Good luck.

Other brands that I would consider would be Simonton, Soft-Lite, Okna, Sunrise, Gorell, etc.

n8shaw

#8 Post by n8shaw »

Thanks everyone for the insight. That is good to know about Shucho. They definitely seemed to be highly regarded prior to being purchased.

We are in no rush to get it done, so we are stepping back and will be doing a bunch more research and getting several more quotes. Very glad I found this forum!

windowmike

#9 Post by windowmike »

Force V is available now. The only window with all welds cleaned, interior glazing bead and TPS spacer system. U value on DH with triple pane and Krypton gas fill is 0.20

Henry5

#10 Post by Henry5 »

windowmike wrote:Force V is available now. The only window with all welds cleaned, interior glazing bead and TPS spacer system. U value on DH with triple pane and Krypton gas fill is 0.20
Seriously :roll:

n8shaw

#11 Post by n8shaw »

Just an FYI for those out there shopping for windows, after canceling our contract with the installer, we received a call from their "cancellation department" that offered to lower the price by over $2,000. So, if you do want to use an installer that plays the hard-sale game, it pays to follow it through to the very end to get the best price.

We still have not accepted that price and are shopping around more, but I thought it would be interesting for others to know.

griffintech99

#12 Post by griffintech99 »

n8shaw- What did you decide to purchase? I too am in the Hampton roads area and would love to hear the company you went with.