Alco Windows by Veka

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
insightray

Alco Windows by Veka

#1 Post by insightray »

I have never in my life signed a contract on the same day that a presentation was made until today. We had 6 quotes for replacement windows during the past 3 weeks and the guys from Alco Windows made the second best case for their company and the best case by price. Still trying to find out about Alco, but by independent web sites and their own statements they are affiliated with Veka and their glass is supplied by Guardian. They have been in business since 1994 and only 1 complaint with the BBB that was resolved to the customers satisfaction. Their windows qualify for the 2009 energy tax credits and they had everything the Simonton and Softlite windows had and more. Am I missing something?? According to the ratings, their U-factor is .27 and they have a 100% warranty on the ENTIRE window including screens. Seems too good to be true for a window under $350. Checked with Angies List and MagicService and their performance is exemplary. Has anyone had any dealings with them or their products?

advanced_energy

Re: Alco Windows by Veka

#2 Post by advanced_energy »

VEKA IS AN EXTRUDER OF VINYL;they do not make windows..guardian makes a good glass package,,vista uses VEKA extrusions as well as i said here a few times. i would really have to see the window and see how good it actually is. i have no doubt that the numbers are what they claim;the million dollar question;;;what will those numbers be in a few years? the high quality window manufacturerers use all high quality sealants and have state of the art automated machinery with very strict quality control standards;this minimizes seal failure risk dramatically. i'd also like to see the hardware and the design of the extrusion.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Looks like a pocket-sill window design according to the pic I saw on the website. :(

insightray

Re: Alco Windows

#4 Post by insightray »

Thanks to all for the different replies under the separate headings. After many debates in my own head, I have decided to go with the Alco Windows. . I really liked the Okna windows (my first choice), but could not justify the additional 2K dollar additional price tag. Alco was a close second (to Okna) while outdistancing Home Depot, Castle Window, Alside and Power Windows by a large margin. Hope this is not a mistake. :?

I will post an update after the installation

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Where are they listed on the NFRC?

Can't find Alco or AW windows.

insightray

#6 Post by insightray »

:? I checked the NFRC but had trouble navigating the site. I do have a "Manufacturer Certification Statement" signed by the president of the company stating that their windows were certified as of 03/01/2009 to be U .27 and SHGC .27. I checked with the BBB of PA and they have an A+ rating with only one complaint and that one one resolved to the customer's satisfaction. In addition, servicemagic had a review of them with 36 responses and all but one was very pleased. I am exhausted at looking at windows and today one the contractors i contacted offered the Alside Sheffield for only $200 more than Alco for the entire job. Probably would have gone with that last week, but my contract rescission time ends at midnight tonight and I have always felt that my word is a bond. Just wish I could get a PROFESSIONAL review of Alco window. They are on the web at http://www.alcowindows.com.

Thanks for the insight

insightray

#7 Post by insightray »

I have the Alco Windows installed in my home and so far I have been very impressed with the company and the installation. The windows seem to be very well made and the crew was very meticulous in taking their time and doing it right in the install.. One window did crack after a few weeks and then came out within two days to replace it without question and was out at house at the exact time they said they would be. Only time will tell, but so far I am impressed with Alco, albeit I am not a professional in window matters, rather just a happy customer right now.

fallofrain

#8 Post by fallofrain »

Any update insightray? I am considering them now and I was impressed by the window, price and presentation.

Thanks in advance.

kiko1974

#9 Post by kiko1974 »

insightray wrote:I have never in my life signed a contract on the same day that a presentation was made until today. We had 6 quotes for replacement windows during the past 3 weeks and the guys from Alco Windows made the second best case for their company and the best case by price. Still trying to find out about Alco, but by independent web sites and their own statements they are affiliated with Veka and their glass is supplied by Guardian. They have been in business since 1994 and only 1 complaint with the BBB that was resolved to the customers satisfaction. Their windows qualify for the 2009 energy tax credits and they had everything the Simonton and Softlite windows had and more. Am I missing something?? According to the ratings, their U-factor is .27 and they have a 100% warranty on the ENTIRE window including screens. Seems too good to be true for a window under $350. Checked with Angies List and MagicService and their performance is exemplary. Has anyone had any dealings with them or their products?
I contracted Alco Windows to replace 14 windows in my house about two years ago. It’s all started good: nice presentation, good price and a lot of promises with good service and quality. Two years past and I’m very dissatisfied with the performance of my windows. May be not so much with windows quality as with the way they were installed and with bad, unprofessional and unethical customer service. When I called to complain about bad installation and that my windows not sealed properly and leaks the guy (Alex) just laughed in my face. His respond was that it’s impossible, didn’t even want to listen to my explanation of the problem, insulted people that I hired to inspect my windows, used inappropriate language and refused to come and see the problem himself.
Very bad and disappointed experience will never use Alco Windows again.

thermal99

#10 Post by thermal99 »

you chose to go with price opposed to quality. you have to take half the blame here as you let yourself believe they were a good company because you concentrated on price. you obviously read this forum and should know that a good window installed usually runs at least 500 bucks per opening ;of course the price goes up according to what the labor entails as well as the glass packages ect...

nildip007

#11 Post by nildip007 »

thermal99, who do you recommend for replacement windows? We are currently looking to replace and I am getting very scared and confused reading all the reviews and not sure what company or windows to go with since there are so many things to consider. I just want a decent quality window with a quality installation that doesn't require me to pay 1K a pop. What is the best bang for your buck and still qualify for the tax credit.

thermal99

#12 Post by thermal99 »

okna, starmark,gorell, or elements.

insightray

#13 Post by insightray »

Just an update on the Alco Windows that I had installed back in March. One window cracked and Alco replaced it within 5 days with no questions asked as to how it broke. We used a 12k BTU window air conditioner in one window and it with stood the heavy load without any blemishes to casing. Energy use was substantially lower during this summer but that may not be due to the windows as it was a cooler summer than last year. Overall, I am still pleased with Alco and would purchase them again under the same circumstances.