HELP!!!!

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Confused

HELP!!!!

#1 Post by Confused »

My windows are 28 yr. old andersons that now need replacing badly. We have rec'd 3 quotes and I'm really confused on which window is the one to go with... the Ellison, Harvey, or Great Lakes????? Can anyone help with that first???? I believe we are comparing apples to apples but of course the prices vary....
The real problem for me is I have a 10ft. bow window w/ 5 panes (it too is an Anerson). The glass on each pane measure 19 1/2 inches --my sister just bought great lakes replacement windows and the same bow window is in her home----but the replacement windows the glass measure 16 1/2 inches ea. pane----I don't like it --not enough glass and a lot of white vinyl in between each window??? Any suggestions for me on the bow as well?????[/img][/list][/code]

thermotwinwindows

#2 Post by thermotwinwindows »

If the two brands you are looking at are very similar, I would go with the company that you know does good work. Is you sister happy with her new windows and the job the company did? If so maybe think about those windows. If the bay window doesn't look right to you, try looking at their bow windows. They don't have steep angles like a bay. That means that there would be less vinyl between the glass areas. A little less sill area but they're just as nice in a big openening. Good luck to you.

thermotwinwindows

#3 Post by thermotwinwindows »

I took a look at all of their warranties. I like Great Lakes the best. That's just my opinion. Of course you need a lawyer to read through these things. The gist of it sounded better than the other two. That could be a way to look at it, because you are right it is apples to apples. All three windows use very similar components. They all have the same glass system.

I do suggest getting their top-of-the-line glass if you can afford it. It'll make a real difference. When windows get Energy Star certified and NFRC rated they all use the best glass systems. Most companies are not going to tell you that. Whatever numbers they show you with r-value u-value and so on are the numbers against their top-of-the-line glass unit. I would even go back and ask for it for free. It costs them maybe $50 - $60 a window.

Confused

Thank you very much for all your help!

#4 Post by Confused »

thermotwinwindows wrote:If the two brands you are looking at are very similar, I would go with the company that you know does good work. Is you sister happy with her new windows and the job the company did? If so maybe think about those windows. If the bay window doesn't look right to you, try looking at their bow windows. They don't have steep angles like a bay. That means that there would be less vinyl between the glass areas. A little less sill area but they're just as nice in a big openening. Good luck to you.

thermotwinwindows

#5 Post by thermotwinwindows »

Did you need more help? You quoted me without reply. I hope I didn't confuse you more. I hope I helped you. I tried to keep it simple and actually help you by answering your questions and only your questions. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Confused

#6 Post by Confused »

I'm not very computer literate so I obviously made an error. I apologize-and no you were very helpful and I thought I sent you a reply thanking you for your help. Actually, I had still the problem with the bow window. If I go with the seabrook salesman, the bow at my sister's I don't care for --I like all of the double hung but I hate the bow---it has way too much vinyl in between the glass and the glass measures at 161/2 in. wide and my glass right now on my anderson bow (28 yrs. old) measures at 20 " wide.???? I was considering going with one salesman for the double hungs and another for the bow??? Unless I can get the one w/ the bow to come down on his price for the whole job--His price is about $1,000.00 dollars higher and it is the ellison windows??? What do you think?

thermotwinwindows

#7 Post by thermotwinwindows »

Ok, I'm just going to repeat you a little so I understand and don't get mixed up. You like the Great Lakes, Seabrook Double Hungs but you don't like their bay or bow window. You like Ellison's bay and bow windows better. Am I correct so far? Do you like Ellison's double hung?