Some windows better suited for DIY?

For those self-installers
alexku

Some windows better suited for DIY?

#1 Post by alexku »

Guys,

is there any brand better suited for DIY?

Alex

sixbury

Re: Some windows better suited for DIY?

#2 Post by sixbury »

I would presume Home Depot or Lowes would be best for DIY since that is how they are sold. Appear to be lower quality for what they sell in the store, but definitely the DIY windows. Lots of places with higher end windows only sell to professionals / contractors. :-(

pondscum

#3 Post by pondscum »

You might look at a window and door specialty retailer instead of a "big box" store. Around here there are at least 3 that I know of, that sell brands like Marvin, Andersen, etc. Also there is a Pella dealer with their own store. You could get better quality windows at any of these places than what HD or Lowes will sell you. Check your local listings, as they say.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Pondscum is a little off, you can buy the same exact Pella or Andersen at the big boxes. The problem is the help, some are good some are not and they do not normally have as in depth product knowledge as most specialty supplers.
Their SO(special order) mark up is different than the cash and carry price.

EcoStar Remodeling

#5 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

I think one of the best quality DIY windows is the Simonton Reflections 5500. Available at most supply houses.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

draftynomore wrote:How different is the mark up on these special order items? Also, can you do your research through the supplier, i.e. Pella, before going to the store? This may help you make a decision easier once you get to the store.
I do not know the difference between the stock items price vs SO.

You could probably do alot of your research through the mfg websites.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

The best DIY windows imo are those with thicker sashes and frames. Gorell 5300 and Plygem Premium are a few that would fit that bill that are available through distribution in my neck of the woods. I generally prefer narrow line units (= more glass) but they need a bit more expertise as they move around a little bit more.