Order Schuco now need to cancel

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Tiberius797

Order Schuco now need to cancel

#1 Post by Tiberius797 »

We ordered Schuco windows 2 weeks ago. This friday I found out I will be loosing my job on Jan 1st. I need to cancel this order but acording to the papers I signed I will not be able to get out of it easy. Has anyone else been through this with schuco?

WindDoze

#2 Post by WindDoze »

It has nothing to do with Schuco, but rather the individual company that you signed the order with. A lot of companies charge penalties for late cancelations (after the statuatory 3 day recission period) to cover the costs they may have already incurred on your job, (permits, sales and marketing commissions and the windows themselves.)

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Exactly.
My suggestion would be to call your dealer just as soon as possible and explain things. I'm sure he will be understanding and try to help you to the best of his ability.

If the windows haven't been batched yet, maybe they can stop the order.

If they have already started production, then the dealer has to buy them and you are rightly on the hook for your dealers expenses, including paying for his cost of the windows. After all, you can't expect the dealer to eat thousands of dollars worth of custom built windows plus the business expenses he has already paid out.

Tiberius797

#4 Post by Tiberius797 »

Well since the initial visit from the saleman, no one else has shown up to redo the measurements as he stated they would befrore the windows are ordered. Plus we don't know if the loan we applied for was accepted . All I do know is that the down payment we made has been charged to my credit card ($500). I understand they are entitled to be paid for any work done. But if nothing more than a saleman has come out. I don't see where they are out anything. Again the inspector has not come out to make the final measurements so I don't think the windows have been ordered. I guess I will find out on Monday.

WindDoze

#5 Post by WindDoze »

I've got news...they might have already paid the salesman. Why should he have to pay back that money? He has a family to feed as well...
Last edited by WindDoze on Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guy

#6 Post by Guy »

If the final measure hasn't been done yet your probably safe. I'd call your supplier and tell them your story. I can't see why they would drag you through the mud. I also can't see you getting a loan with out a job. Find out where the loan is from and give them a status update. I think they would like to know that ahead of time instead of hearing later with a bankruptcy notice in the mail. Windoze how arrogant are you to slap someone for losing their job. That was heartless!!

WindDoze

#7 Post by WindDoze »

I'm not slapping anyone, I'm just being realistic....To say that the company hasn't got anything into the job just because they haven't measured yet is not necessarily true.

If you were my customer, I'd work with you to get your order cancelled -- but if I've paid a sales rep that is a legitimate business expense. I'm sorry for the offense. Get a grip Guy!

Guy

#8 Post by Guy »

I lost control!
Last edited by Guy on Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

WindDoze

#9 Post by WindDoze »

Guy,
I like these boards because of the variety of opinions they elicit. Installers, sales reps, customers, manufacturers and business owners all trade their experiances. I've learned a lot from reading these things. I would never question or contradict something you might have to say based on your installation experiance. I know you've forgotten more than I'll ever know in that department. I'm not an installer. I'm a salesman and a business owner.

What I was trying to give this customer was a realistic expectation of what he could expect from cancelling a contract two weeks after he signed it from a business owner's perspective. (That was what he originally asked for.) Based on your first comment, I went back and edited my response to him because I didn't want to come off too harsh. I even apologized, I do feel for the customer and wish him well. I hope he gets all of his money back. But I thought I'd prep him for what its more than likely he will hear. I'm sorry that your past experiance with my company has led you to believe that everything I have to say has ulterior motives. They don't. A matter of fact, I really was trying to hold out an olive branch by having A*** give you a call. I told him that you had some beefs with us in the past. I wanted him to hear you out, because you are a respected installer, and see if there was any way we could patch our differences. In our company he is the individual responsible for the window dept. He could fix the problem, if you and him decided that it was worth it. As you say, I'm a sales and marketing guy...I don't think I'm cutthroat, but I've learned you can't be everyone's best friend either. Whether you believe me or not, I don't want a war of words with you. I'd like to coexist, whether that's possible or not, I tend to doubt it based on your obvious animosity towards me and my company. But I've never attacked you personally. I've never intentionally tried to antagonize you either. If you took offense I apologize. (When I said get a grip, it was in jest...unfortunately sarcasm sometimes doesn't translate well in the written word.)

I realize now we'll probably never break bread together, but I don't want to break each others arms, legs, noses or headlights either. (That was supposed to be a joke, btw. :lol: )

Guy

#10 Post by Guy »

Your sarcasm and humor fuel anger. These words come off as rude and cold comments meant to hurt. I know the feeling of loosing everything and it's a tough road. Whether it's reality or not. It can be candy coated in a way not so harsh. If your a man of your word I will respect your position and step back. We can coexist with no hassle. My apology to you for my comments which I've withdrawn.

Mass. window guy

#11 Post by Mass. window guy »

Tiberius,
I am sorry to hear about your upcoming lay off.
Most of the companies that sell the high end windows and have a sales force, service department, office staff etc. They are probably going to try to hold your feet to the fire. I hope I am wrong! Yes, as the other poster had said the company did have costs associated with your sale. Yes, the salesman would get a commision for the sale. Although I cannot imagine a company paying out the sales commision until the bank papers are completed.
If you have not signed the form that states the specifics such as amount borrowed, interest rate, # of monthly payments, etc than I doubt they ordered them.
The other thing you can do is call the lending institution that is giving you
the loan. Do you know who they were using?
Are you 100% sure that someone else was coming out to measure the openings?
And last, if they insist you proceed with the order, most home improvement loans have 6 month or 12 month deffered payments available. Then you can get the windows now and enjoy them immediately and give you time to find another job before making payments.
I know it is not very comforting knowing you will be losing your job, but the bright side is if you end up having the job completed the windows will be cheaper this year than they will next year.
Please keep us informed. Good luck!!!

Tiberius797

#12 Post by Tiberius797 »

Well here is an update.

I called the dealer, explained my situation. They were very understanding. They wanted me to sign and send them the cancellation notice with a written letter explaining why I am canceling my order. When they receive it, my deposit will be refunded within 30 days. apparently nothing has been ordered because the contractor did not get the final measurements and the loan has not been approved yet. The measurements the saleman takes are rough drafts to figure the cost of the windows. For installation they need an accurate meas. I want to thank everyone for there help, advice and input. will keep you updated,.
Have a great thankgiving and Merry X-Mas :)

Mass. window guy

#13 Post by Mass. window guy »

I am very happy for you!
Many companies would keep your deposit at a minimum.
Kudos to that company!
thank heavens the dealer took so long to measure or this would not have been such a happy ending.