Milgard Classic vs Brothers Calif Series

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
allison

Milgard Classic vs Brothers Calif Series

#1 Post by allison »

I'm in the final stretch of deciding which windows to get. After getting several quotes, I've narrowed it down to Milgard or Brothers. I feel confident about both companies/certified installer and their installation warranty. But I'm having a tough time cuz deciding between the two windows. Here are my pros & cons and I would appreciate your personal opinions to help me decide! Which would you go with? What else should I take into consideration?

Milgard Classic:
Pro - been around for a while, new construction patio doors
Con - does not use super spacer, seems like this line has been around a while and hasn't improved their technology, cost $700 more

Brothers California series:
Pro - uses super spacer, looks like a good window, $700 cheaper
Con - retro patio doors, relatively new window (3yrs old)

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by allison on Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ronin148

#2 Post by Ronin148 »

I haven't seen Brothers windows, so I really couldn't comment on it. But I have heard the Super Spacer warm edge system to be a superior product. I have found Milgard's sliding door to be a very solid product. It is by far one of the beefiest doors out there. The new construction style presents a relatively low threshold to worry about.

While it is true that Milgard's spacer is nothing to rave about, it is machine made, and should (theoretically) have a lesser error rate than hand-made. IIRC, the Super Spacer system is hand made, and therefore is only as good as the operator. I have heard some contractors complaining about the butyl seals failed in short period and required warranty service.

Depending on where you live, the spacer differences may not make all that much difference for you. But if you do go with Brother's brand or any others that uses Super Spacer, make sure you are happy with the color. Standard color is dark gray, some folks don't like the dark edge and have requested white to match the window frame.

One more thing to consider before I shut up: Don't be afraid to mix and match the product for you project. That is, one brand's sliding windows may be fabulous while double-hungs or doors fail miserably. Happy shopping!

JScott

#3 Post by JScott »

I cannot comment on Brothers, however, you will be pleased with the Milgard Classics. My mother-in-law looks out one every day. The classics are heavy-duty with most models and sizes rated for commercial use. Milgard has a very good warranty which includes labor should any of your glass seals fail as long as you live in your home.

HipKat

#4 Post by HipKat »

The manufacturer warranty's the labor?????????????
Wow...

JScott

#5 Post by JScott »

Yes, the manufacture covers the labor for any product issue not related to installation defects of coarse, for as long as the original owner owns the home, transferable the 1st 10 years for a maximum of 10 years and warrants labor on multi-family and commercial structures for 10 years.