Alside UltraMaxx versus Cutting Edge Plus --which is better?

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
aero951

Alside UltraMaxx versus Cutting Edge Plus --which is better?

#1 Post by aero951 »

These windows are for Indiana (mid-west) climate.
My window company first recommended Alside UltraMaxx and then came back to recommend the Cutting Edge Plus, stating that the Cutting Edge Plus had a slightly higher energy rating/efficiency than the Alside UltraMaxx.

They also stated that the Cutting Edge Plus should be a bit more costly than the Alside UltraMaxx windows, however they would honor the cost originally quoted for either window (10 windows, approx $4,500).

Note: the Alside UltraMaxx windows offered include the ClimaTech High Performance Insulated Glass Package.

The two brochures are quite different---the Alside UltraMaxx states that it's ClimaTech Low-E/Argon Window U-Value is 0.30 versus a Clear Glass Unit rating of 0.46. **In the Cutting Edge Plus brochure there are no references to this or other rating statistics which is a little concerning.

The Cutting Edge Plus brochure mentions the glass to be 7/8" Insulated, Double-Strength Glass with an Intercept spacer system and that it has Low-E2 glass, enhanced with argon gas.

Any ideas the better offer in general for long term home use and energy savings between these two, also any ideas on the price offering as above?

I need to decide very quickly (within the week). Any help is appreciated. :roll:

Windows on Washington

Re: Alside UltraMaxx versus Cutting Edge Plus --which is better?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Can I say neither?

I would look at more windows. If they are selling an UltraMaxx...I would not really trust their judgment on selecting a good product to offer a customer.

I always suggest that a customer speak to more than one company and sort through the BS.

aero951

#3 Post by aero951 »

Still though. I have given them the downpayment so I'm pretty much choosing between these two at this point. Also cannot afford to purchase a more expensive window, and the windows they are replacing are probably 100 years old wood frame, rope windows, so I will be better off energy-wise than I am now (and I'm told both meet the govt energy credit status). Trying to figure out if one versus the other of the two brands I've mentioned stands above the other?

Any more input considering that?

Thanks again....

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

If those were my only choices I'd choose the Cutting Edge ...because of the sill. Ultramaxx directs rainwater through the sill extrusion (where water sits and where you can't get in to clean) whereas the Cutting Edge has a much better sloped sill.

aero951

#5 Post by aero951 »

Does it make any sense that the window company said that the two windows were very very similiar but that the Cutting Edge had a slightly higher energy efficiency ? (Window4U do you --or others---think that is true?)

Much appreciated....