What kind of window did I find?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
northender

What kind of window did I find?

#1 Post by northender »

Let me start by saying I know nothing about windows, but I have just purchased an older stucco home in which I plan to replace the windows. My relative bought a house that came with the prior owner's stuff that he left behind (long story, the guy was sort of a fugitive) and I was hoping to use some of that stuff (windows, doors, etc) in my newly purchased home. He was a builder, and what we found are some windows that are mostly made of wood but with a strip of metal framing it. The one window is huge and has two layers of glass but one is broken. Are these wood and metal windows any good? Also, can this second layer of glass be replaced and if so, any cost estimates for that> Would this type of window be ok for a stucco home? The home I bought has smallish windows so obviously I would have to cut a bigger space for any new windows. Is this difficult with stucco? Who does this, the window installers or someone else? Is this expensive? Also, if I can use those three or four windows I found, can I easily find windows of this type to match? There was a sticker on the window that says "Norco" if that helps. If I can use these windows, how do I find a good installer for them?

I'm just so ignorant about windows and I have to sya that these windows this man left behind were used in the house he built and sold to my relative and I am pretty sure these are very high quality windows.

Scott1q1

#2 Post by Scott1q1 »

You would be much much further ahead to just get several estimates and have new windows installed professionally.

By the time you pay to replace the insulated glass and change opening sizes you will have spent a good amount of the money new windows made for your house would cost, only you probably won't have any warranty.

Also generally speaking you will have a hard time finding a good installer to do the work, not many people like to get involved in that type of project.

northender

#3 Post by northender »

Thanks for the advice. Do window installers open the spaces themselves even if you are wanting a much bigger window than exists, or is this work that needs to be done by a contractor or something?

Scott1q1

#4 Post by Scott1q1 »

Most installers shouldn't have trouble enlarging the windows, its more the fact that you want to use windows you already have.

Its nothing personal but alot of the time someone wants to buy/supply materials its a sign they will be cheap or hard to work with. It also makes for alot of gray area in trying to warranty the job. Sometimes it means someone else started the job and didn't finish, which might be totally the first contractors fault but still leaves the customer with a negative attitude. None of these may apply to you but they are reasons why alot of us prefer to just keep it simple and install what we sell.

There are negatives in using the your windows for you also.
Chances are you will be entirely responcible for any problems with the job a short time after completion.

Also as far as pricing goes, Contractors deal with this stuff everyday while a customer only does it a few times. I've heard of customers feeling they were taken advantage of one way or another by contractors working time and material or by the hour.

With a price for the whole job it will be easier to be sure your getting the windows/install/warranty you want at the price you agreed to pay.

All that being said maybe you can find a friend or relative to help you out with it and save a bunch of cash, never hurts to try. I dont know much about Norco but I think they are a big company and you oughta be able to find more.