Xact vs Softlite

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
csb11

Xact vs Softlite

#1 Post by csb11 »

I have a price of about $400/window for some Xact 1450 series and $500/window for Softlite D11s. It seems like the Softlite are of higher quality and reputation - but are they worth 25% more? Living in the Northeast, winter is definitely the main concern. Can't find too many positive comments on the Xact on this site, but 2 neighbors purchases them and seem to be pleased. Any strong objections out there?

Scott1q1

#2 Post by Scott1q1 »

I would recommend most any other brand over xact. The windows have some nice features but are nowhere near as nice as alot of other brands.

The parent company is mi home products, a huge company that primarily makes vinyl and aluminum low priced new construction products. They have terrible quality control, and the windows are a lil sloppy compared to alot of middle of the road brands.

They do have a good warranty and will send you new parts till you drown in them, and they are nice people to deal but really you can do alot better with very little looking.

Unless I'm mistaken the 1650 is the better replacement window anyway, the 1450 is kinda junky looking.

A couple of personal experiences with them, their picture windows are not sealed well and I actually needed to silicone along the bottoms or rain would get between the vinyl and glass on the exterior and leak out into the house, most of them did this. Another great experience with them..On a house with 22 dh's I had to replace 32 sashes because they had little spots of goop, some tiny but some about the size of a pencil eraser, between the panes of glass in the corners. It looked like maybe part of the intercept seal melted when they put the screws in, no clue how that is actually done at the factory but it was a real mess.

Unfortunately to this day the customer is sure I put secondhand windows
in the house. I could go on with about 20 more examples but I really hate to think about it, go with the softlite's please. Not alot of experience with them but I did have a supplier friend that used them and never had many problems.

windowmannjny

#3 Post by windowmannjny »

where in the northeast do you live?

csb11

#4 Post by csb11 »

in nj; aside from the insulated window frame and sash and spacer, it seems like the xact and sunlite have the same technical specs. Given that the quality of the vinyl should be a sufficient insulator in itself and that I've heard the xtra insulation is more of a gimmic than anything else, it's difficult to see what the difference is. I'm guessing either xact or softlite are better than your home depot/lowes level anderson windows though I'm beginning to doubt the xact are much better. Any opinion?

windowmannjny

#5 Post by windowmannjny »

csb-i am also from nj, i would not put the xact window in a dog house, first of all in my opinion it is a very boxy window with not much character to the interior or exterior. as for longevity from what i understand you would be better off choosing another window. as for the sunrise not a big fan either...both on the longevity and the insulation. there are much better windows that are available in my area.

Mass. window guy

#6 Post by Mass. window guy »

I am a big fan of the Soft-Lite window (and also sell it).
One of the local wholesalers around here just started selling the x-act window and I know this wholesaler to be the kind that sells products solely based on their ability to buy them cheap from the manufacturer. They used to make their own cheapo windows themselves, but now they can buy these windows for about the same price as what it cost them to make (without all the headaches).
What glass package are you looking at? Is it double or triple? Is it super spacer or intercept? Argon or Krypton?
I will not talk pricing with you, but will say the DH-11 is worth the $100 extra!