SIMONTON WINDOWS Rated #1 in JD Power Study by Bldrs/Remdlrs

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
MED

SIMONTON WINDOWS Rated #1 in JD Power Study by Bldrs/Remdlrs

#1 Post by MED »

Announced yesterday--For the second consecutive year Simonton Windows has been rated #1 in 2009 Builder and Remodeler Satisfaction among Residential Window and Patio Door Manufacturers. Congratulations Simonton! Industry professionals have spoken.

Read more at:
SIMONTON: http://www.simonton.com
JD POWER: http://www.jdpower.com/business/ratings ... age-anchor

thermal99

Re: SIMONTON WINDOWS Rated #1 in JD Power Study by Bldrs/Remdlrs

#2 Post by thermal99 »

alright "MED" enough with the JD Powers nonsense. no one in the industry takes JD Powers seriously.
Simonton is not the best vinyl window out there;most pro's would agree with me on that.

Skydawggy

#3 Post by Skydawggy »

thermal99 wrote:alright "MED" enough with the JD Powers nonsense. no one in the industry takes JD Powers seriously.
Simonton is not the best vinyl window out there;most pro's would agree with me on that.
I believe you are misinterpeting the report. It isn't about which window is the "Best", it's about overall satisfaction. Big difference!! "Best" is a very subjective statement. What data would one use to determine "Best"? Energy efficiency? I'd rather have a window that doesn't have the "Best" energy rating if I knew the manufacturer produced a product that was consistent quality. I'd also sacrafice a little energy efficiency for a company that provided first class warranty service. So how do we determine "Best"?

MED

#4 Post by MED »

"Thermal99" heats up the discussion--I love it! What about 2009 Builder Magazine where Simonton was just rated #1 in Quality in their Brand Use Study? My point is, these are independent studies among us "pros" and they aren't talking smack. "Best" is different for different people. Is it strong lifetime warranty? Over 95% complete order track record (for less callbacks)? Kick-*** customer service and field tech support? If so, I believe Simonton derserves a close look.

thermal99

#5 Post by thermal99 »

of course you are defending Simonton,you probably install them. i have installed them before and they are an average window;the 9800 series is above average. i would never trust any endorsement from JD Powers JUST AS I WOULD NOT TRUST ANYTHING CONSUMER REPORTS HAS TO SAY. I am not saying simonton is a bad window,its not. i can think of about 5 window companies off the top of my head that would get better overall reviews than simonton which any red neck with a pick up truck can buy. does that make it a bad window? of course not. its a pretty good window.

Skydawggy

#6 Post by Skydawggy »

thermal99 wrote:of course you are defending Simonton,you probably install them. i have installed them before and they are an average window;the 9800 series is above average. i would never trust any endorsement from JD Powers JUST AS I WOULD NOT TRUST ANYTHING CONSUMER REPORTS HAS TO SAY. I am not saying simonton is a bad window,its not. i can think of about 5 window companies off the top of my head that would get better overall reviews than simonton which any red neck with a pick up truck can buy. does that make it a bad window? of course not. its a pretty good window.

I don't believe I made any statement defending or supporting any window or window manufacturer. I simply asked a question which you apparently can't answer and can't provide any data to support your opinion. So I guess we are left with an evaluation which actually contains some data as opposed to the anecdotal offering you provided. It's also very evident you cannot understand the JD Power methodology or conclusions.

thermal99

#7 Post by thermal99 »

skydawggy
that was directed towards MED,not you..sorry for the confusion.

the depot

#8 Post by the depot »

look everyone i've worked for andersen and tons of other fly by night window companies. i was always trying to find the right situation to be in. for example...someone i could sell for..believe in the product...and believe the company who stands behind it. there is nothing that kills me more than seeing job signs in yards, thats not the depot. THERE ARE NO "SHOW HOMES." if someone comes in your house and tries to charge you $1000-1500 per window..for a 10 window job that's 15,000 then all in a sudden they give gimmick rebates for heavy traffic or bulk order for example they start at $15,000 then $12,000 they get on the phone now it's $9,000 but just think....if you the customer agreed at $15,000 you NEVER would have found out the $9,000 gimmick rebate...if they did this to you what other corners are they cutting? are the installers really pro installers from that co.? will the co. be in business for the next 50 years?...or even next year for that matter? look i have sold windows from $600-$2,200 per window...the reason why i work for the depot is because they simply have the best window for your $!!! PERIOD!!!! most all contractors are out of business within 2 years and a staggering 95% are out of business within 5...what does that mean to you the consumer? if the contracter is out of business so is some portion of your warranty!!! THAT IS FACT!!! if you look in a phone book from 5 years ago turn to the window page and start calling if you don't believe me!! you will see most #'s are disconnected or they answer under another name which means your so called lifetime warranty is lost!!! the depot is almost at $30 a share...and will be around forever!!!! and so will your warranty!!! kind of important hah!? and for all those contractors that talk crap on the home depot stop by your local home depot around 7am you'll find all those contractors in the big orange store!! TRUTH IS IF YOU GO WITH ANOTHER PARTY YOU WILL HAVE CORNERS CUT IN EITHER INSTALLATION, LACK OF INSURANCE, OR WARRANTY. THE AVERAGE CUSTOMER SPENDS ANYWHERE FROM 50,000-100,000 throughout the course of ones life...so ask yourself..why would the depot want to jepardize you going into the store over a couple thousand in a window sale. DO THE RIGHT THING. THERE ARE NO RISKS!!!!! SIMONTON IS #1

thermal99

#9 Post by thermal99 »

'The Depot", what a great store to door business with. is it the doors that you order that constantly come in the wrong size,the plywood that gets delivered and instead of being all 1/2" its 3 diffeent sizes? is it the 'American Craftsman" windows that disinegrate if the sun is too bright or there are winds speeds greater that 12 mph? is it the guy who's supposed to be in the plumbing aisle that is wandering around in the garden center when you need him that makes "the depot" such a great place to do business with... how bout the great experience at the check out counter? please tell us more reasons to shop at home depot.

Door&WindowPlus

#10 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

The study is for national window brands.

Pete K

#11 Post by Pete K »

I believe that installation is a key part of replacement windows. Even though you may purchase a quality window, an inexperienced installer can negate any benefits which you may have expected. Home Depot subcontracts all of their window installations which means that you are at the mercy of the "luck of the draw". I would look at the price paid to the sub as higher prices tend to draw better quality installers. Being in the construction industry, I have walked away from "low-ball" subcontracts. It shows me that they are not serious about quality...only profits.

Door&WindowPlus

#12 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

It's a sales tool.

I recommend my customers to see what they like. Most like the 7300 over the 7500 because of its narrow frame. But get a salesman mentioning that the 7300 has uneven sight lines and the customer becomes more confused. I try not to sell the Verona.

steveholmesntc1

#13 Post by steveholmesntc1 »

Just wanted to make a comment about home depot.....Frankely most of the installers are hired by a underqualified project manager..most of these guys dont know what they are doing....I know been behind home depot installers plenty of times....service is horrible...there is no real experts in that store that i have dealt with...ask for something ...what is that or direct you to the wrong location. Wood materials is left over material where real lumber stores would not except..basically that #1 rated material...usually the lumber stores are cheaper anyway..at least for me...orders come in wrong all the time...Yes I use to use them for some selected item...way too much trouble with orders ..I only go there for caulk or something small....usually any high quality is not shopping there....Yeah your right also fellow blogger...about many businessess not surviving past 5 years...but why work with inexperienced sales guys and poor contractors who are not certified....just because homedepot has been around a long time, doesnt mean you will get good service, this goes for lowes and sears and other huge stores like these...Ive seen it all....in fact i use to sub contract from all of these places biggest concern was did i have insurance...shoot even then I knew more than my "Superiors" Do your home work people, ask for references.....we give at least 40-50....we dont need to pick through our jobs....we do everyone properly by certified and trained workers not subs....My sub contractor days arte long behind me and now a very respected contractor in the washington dc area...As far as Simonton windows are concerned....good windows...install them properly..shouldnt have any issues. Thanks for listening to me rant and rave.

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

Hope more folks read your post Steve.

It is what we have been trying to point out to folks when they think they are safe with Big Blue or Big Orange.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#15 Post by masterext »

for what its worth, simonton is in no way equal to the higher quality vinyl windows. jd powers should not be taken seriously; at least with windows.