Abcleads.com BBB Business Review  NAHB member
Call us at
1-800-219-5332

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Window Depth?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:05 am 

I see most replacement windows have a depth of 3-1/4". How does this work when the jamb depth of my windows is 4-7/8" +/- 1/4"

Will replacement windows be too short in that there will be this large gap from my interior sill to the window?

I know when my sliding door was repalced there were vinyl doors with 3-1/4" depth but I was talked of it by the contractor who installed (had to remove shingles) a new construction door with the 4-x/x" depth.

Can anyone explain how replacement windows work when the depth is over an inch smaller?

Thanks

Sitedrifter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:47 am 

We would remove the exterior blind stop and install the window from the outside in resting the new window against the inside stop molding. Then we would install a new exterior blind stop and the exterior aluminum capping will make up the 1â€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:54 am 

Bill

The old windows (Aluminum) are completely (frames, sills everything) coming out and the new windows are to be installed with a nailing flange.

On the surface it seems a new construction window would be installed but everyone still says replacement. I am not concerned about interior molding since it is junk the previous home owner put up an I will be replacing it when the windows are done.

Is your install method still inline after what I wrote above?

Thanks

Site

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:59 am 

No what I wrote does not apply; after the old window is removed the new window will be installed from the outside on a nailing flange and you make up the difference on the inside with a wood extension jamb. A casing should be then installed on the exterior covering the flange and capped w/ aluminum.

Bill