Trying to decide between Alpha Windows, and Tri-State Window

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
GGobblin

Trying to decide between Alpha Windows, and Tri-State Window

#1 Post by GGobblin »

I have seen both windows and heard both pitches.
Tri-State double and triple pane versions. Their triple pane glass looked really green.
Didn't like that at all. The specs were U.18 according to the rep and the flyer.
Their double pane was clearer. Apha showed me a double pane that had 1" space between the panes- most other windows have 7/8". He said his window had 2.2 gauge vinyl - as opposed to .99 from Tri-State.

Alpha is more expensive than even Tri-State's highest triple pane.
I got a better vibe from the Alpha guy - seemed to know much more and was less of a salesman show.
Alpha had a .27U factor -
Anyone had Tristate windows installed ?
Are the triple panes really that green?
I was told that the Alpha double pane with 1" in between the glass would be the quietest- quieter than triple panes. The glass in the middle of the triple pane makes it louder- Don't know if that is true.

I would imagine I'd be looking for a low U factor, thick glass, multiple panes, argon/krypton mix.
So far - I have narrowed it to 3 companies - Alpha Windows, Tri-State Window Factory (Deer Park, NY), Serious Windows.
Can anyone help ?

thermal99

Re: Trying to decide between Alpha Windows, and Tri-State Window

#2 Post by thermal99 »

depending on what area of NY you are in,there are other options.. also,don't get caught up in the 1" space. argon works best in 3/4. of course we are talking double pane; triple pane is usually at least 13/16.

tom77

#3 Post by tom77 »

I have seen both companies products and myself would like to get customer feedback on them. I have also read about serious windows and I do not believe they have a rep. or a showroom on long island. Have you looked at simonton, okna, or starmark. Groell is another one.

tom77

#4 Post by tom77 »

I have gotten an estimate on the tristate window at $400.00 for there 5400 which is triple pane krypton gas. U rating .18 never asked what there dp rating was or air infiltration number was. There lifetime warranty is attractive. I heard they sold some of there equipment and had a tax problem in the early 90's I see there ads in the paper with 50 % off.

I would like to here from people that had there 5400 window installed.

tom77

#5 Post by tom77 »

As far as Gorell on the Island I no of one dealer and softlite has no dealers. No problem getting Simonton and they will even sell to the homeowner.

GGobblin

#6 Post by GGobblin »

Well after the Tri-State sales person never called back after I asked for refrences and address of previous jobs in the area - I decided to stay away from them. Their Triple pane - (.18U) seemed interesting specs - wise- But was SO dark Green - I immediately dismissed it.
Also the Tri-State salesperson had issued with some technical and install questions I asked.

I decided to so with Alpha. Heard some good things. Windows had nice thicg gauge vinyl and steel/alum reinforcement. Metal locks - Best security features and very durable glass (Was Not Green).
Also Low E throughout the glass - not a coating. They use their own installers and the sales person was the VP. Family owned and operated - liked that. Salesperson- very knowledgable- answered everything and noticed all my install issues with my current junk vinyl windows.
Good warranty covers everything, including install. Good financing options. Serious windows might have won out if they had financing.

I should have them installed in a couple of weeks - I will post on their install process, quality of work, cleanup and overall professional job. I will watch to make sure they are insulating well and plumb / level are acheived.

jbssbw

#7 Post by jbssbw »

I have windows from Tri-State and have no issues with them. Are they a little dark I can say there is a film on them that makes them look alittle dark. I talked with alot of window salesman and I was down to Okna & Tri-State. Okna guy would not move enough on price for me so I got the 4200 from Tri-State. Both windows have pretty much the same feature and I though the build quality was about the same, I saw both windows back to back. I will know if I made a good choice this winter. But go with what you like, this is a great site with alot of quality people on it and I wouldn't know anything about windows if it wasn't for this site.

randy

#8 Post by randy »

Also Low E throughout the glass - not a coating
What does this mean? Low-E is applied to the surface of the glass as a coating in every application as far as I know.

thermal99

#9 Post by thermal99 »

the okna is going to be more expensive than tri state. why? because its a much better window. you simply cannot compare a high end window and an average window(being nice) based on price. i'd much rather see you get a quality window by buying in stages if affordability is an issue.

jbssbw

#10 Post by jbssbw »

thermal99 wrote:the okna is going to be more expensive than tri state. why? because its a much better window. you simply cannot compare a high end window and an average window(being nice) based on price. i'd much rather see you get a quality window by buying in stages if afford ability is an issue.
This is the same thing every sales man says to close a deal. How many different ways is there to make a vinyl window? Not that many, it come down to quality of materials and performance. You see it in cars ,A/C, TVs and just about everything made. There are only a few manufacturing companies out there in the world so most products are made by the same factory and there name is just put on, thats why companies are bought just for the name. The NFRC web site which we are told to check to compare numbers Okan & Tri-State are just about the same. The windows have just about the same features as all windows of decent quality. I am no expert in this field just my 2 cents coming for a marketing field.

thermal99

#11 Post by thermal99 »

there are many companies that make vinyl extrusions and each company can make dozens of different grades according to what theor customers ask for. there are also "proprietary designs". then of course the engineering of the window itself.make no mistake, tri state's pvc is much different than Okna's. whomever lead you to believe that high end window companies are not much different than an average window did one hell of a sales job on you because he fooled you into buying a tri state window. i would love to know how much money you think you saved.

tom77

#12 Post by tom77 »

Here is my two cents, I have seen the both the okna and the tristate window and I have read where okna did not fill there extrusions with foam. (Are they both using virgin vinyl.)

I have not checked lately but I believe I can get the tristate 4200 window for $400.00 with comes standard with triple pane krypton gas. Okna window with triple pane krypton probably comes in at $600.00 + There warranty is not as good as Tristate. Tristate gives you lifetime on the install, lifetime on glass breakage and seal failure. Screen rips take in and they replace it for you.

There U and solar heat gain numbers are better then Okna. Okna SHGC is about .23 and they did not want to lower it anymore or there window would have a greenish look to it. One thing I can say about okna is there extrusions maybe a little stronger and there manufacturer process a little better but if tristate stands buy there warranty and anything goes wrong with there window you get it fixed.

thermal99

#13 Post by thermal99 »

Okna fills their frames with foam..window wizards were odering windows and selling them as foam filled.
i'm surprised TRI State charges 400 for a triple pane,i would think it would be cheaper. okna are a manufacturer not an installer.

tom77

#14 Post by tom77 »

I no okna is a manufacturer and so is Tristate and they do there own install. I am sure you no how much krypton gas is and if you could get the window at $400.00 per I think it is a bargain with there warranty.

thermal99

#15 Post by thermal99 »

not at all if its not a quality window. i know about 6 companies that will do triple pane with krypton installed for under 400 bucks but i also know that they are not quality windows. does TriState have some sort of magic bullet where they can charge such low prices for quality windows?
i know this company well and if they were so good i would be using them. they appeal to those customers that think price is the most important part of a window and that all pvc is created equal so if two windows have lowE and krypton they are the same. any pro worth his salt will tell you thats not the case.
anyway,you already had them installed so best of luck.