are all triple panes created equal?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jg

are all triple panes created equal?

#1 Post by jg »

i am trying to compare shuco, triple pane, krypton filled, low e windows with alside, triple also with krypton, low e, are they comparable? all other things being equal (installation), are these the best in this categoy or are there any other choices? is there any difference in the warranties each manufacturer gives? i am in the new york city area.i have a shuco estimate for about $700 per double hung and i am wondering whether there is a slightly lower cost yet quality alternative, like alside, or any other make. my house involves 31 double hung and 5 picture windows plus three small geometric shaped panes so even 100.00 per will amount to a substantial savings.
thanks in advance for any words of wisdom and happy holidays.

HipKat

#2 Post by HipKat »

All triple panes are not created equal. That doesn't mean you won't find comparable performance to a Schuco. Shuco is the best, hands down. but it's the seal and the overall construction plus the way it just looks that makes it superior. 700 a window is decent, too, depending on what size those windows are.
Now, there are plenty of good windows, triple and double pane that use a soft edge spacer, that are lowE, that are built well and that will cost maybe somewhat less. It all depends on what you're looking for in a complete package. if you're just looking for good performance at a lesser cost, keep looking. if the Schucos are affordable, go for it!!!