Ok guys, let's just cut to the chase to the chase...

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
HipKat

Ok guys, let's just cut to the chase to the chase...

#1 Post by HipKat »

Put aside the windows you specifically sell or install for a minute, put aside cost and be objective.
We all agree that Schuco makes the best window out there, more or less.

But which company's windows are up there. Top of the line, upper echelon, over and above, etc.
Personally, I believe, having had alot of contact with the Schuco, that Vista is up there. Not quite a Schuco, but definitey up there. I've read about Amerimax, Polybau, etc, but if you had to pick 5 -10 superior products, what are they??

JScott

#2 Post by JScott »

My own opinion- I would add Milgard Classic and Milgard Classic II and Gorell 5300 series. I have not seen a schuco, amerimax or a polybau or a vista but folks offering these give them high marks. This is for my vinyl list. If you have ever installed a Milgard Classic you would believe the vinyl recipe makes for the strongest vinyl I have ever worked with. Milgard does not have a triple pane offering. In addition, most classics have a light commercial or a commercial rating which simply means they leak less in testing as compared to a residentially rated window.

WindDoze

#3 Post by WindDoze »

After Schuco I'd rank Sunrise Restorations and then Simonton 9800 both with triple pane as numbers 2 and 3. From what I've seen of Vista it looks like it could make the list as well.

cazzy

Opinion

#4 Post by cazzy »

What's your opinion of Gorell 5300 series, WindDoze?

WindDoze

#5 Post by WindDoze »

I'd say its a better than average window. I wouldn't rate it as high as some of the others mentioned. It uses the intercept spacer, which automatically takes it out of the top tier in my book. There are better seal systems out there, particularly TPS and SuperSpacer. Secondly they push foam filled frames which causes me to be skeptical since I have yet to see actual independant documentation that foam adds anything to the overall window performance. (Just because a manufacturer says it does doesn't make it so.) I like triple pane and really recomend them to folks in the harsher climates because they really do make a noticable differance in keeping the home warmer. I believe (though I'm not positive) the 5300 offers triple pane as an option.

HipKat

#6 Post by HipKat »

Vinyl has the same insulative quality as wood. I believe it's like .001 BTU, or something. Therefore, the foam filled lineals are pretty much pointless, although, who's to really say, until they've seen them tested.

pinnenergy

Gorell5300 series

#7 Post by pinnenergy »

As a dealer of Gorell Products (no, that isn't the only manufacturer I work with), I highly advocate the use of these products. As a customer of Gorell products I can say the same. The reason that Gorell uses foam filled framing is simply this:

1. Polystyrene (styrofoam) is a wonderful insulator of heat and cold. If you have ever purchased a coffee from a local convenience store you will know this. Yes, dead air is a good insulator as well, however, many windows when welded (unless they are heat-fusion) do not create a dead air space.

2. The foam inserts add rigidity to the framing system itself. Since PVC is using for extrusion, the frame remains solid for a long time.
Gorell has won the US Dept. of Energy/EPA Energy Star partner of the year 2 year straight, which NO window company has ever accomplished. This is no small feat simply because only one window manufacturer is given this honor in the United States.

The 5300 series offers 2 triple pane options

1. 3 panes of glass with Solarban (LO-E) coating with a Krypton fill.
2. 3 panes of glass, one layer of poly-vinyl butyral (armor glass), and argon fill

Both guarantee a 40% energy savings pledge for the first year. If you do not save 40% off of your energy consumption, Gorell will pay the difference.

Last but not least, Gorell has the highest inert gas retention of any other window on the market @ 94% over 25 years! The u-values from the NFRC also speaks volumes for Gorell's status in the window world.

FenEx

#8 Post by FenEx »

Do I need to respond to this last post or would someone else like to. I'm gonna put my boots on and sit back for a bit to allow for other's responses.

WindDoze

#9 Post by WindDoze »

FenEx,
I honestly read this earlier...but didn't post anything because I didn't want to step on your toes! :) I counted at least five whoppers in the post above. I couldn't wait to hear what you had to say...

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Re: Gorell 5300 series

#10 Post by Window4U (IL) »

OK guys, let's split this one up since one of us shouldn't have all the fun. I'll take this quote first.
pinnenergy wrote:
Gorell has won the US Dept. of Energy/EPA Energy Star partner of the year 2 year straight, which NO window company has ever accomplished. This is no small feat simply because only one window manufacturer is given this honor in the United States.

Alside was the Energy Star partner of the year 3 years straight. 200, 2001, and 2002.
All this honor means is that the company did a great job spending money promoting the Energy Star program. It is not an endorsement of Gorell being better than any other Energy Star approved window.

HipKat

#11 Post by HipKat »

Jeez, I think I just sat through a sales pitch...

Did he miss the part where I said to step out from behind the prioducts you specifically sell/install and try to be objective??

Anyhow, the count so far....

Schuco
Vista (thanks for taking my word on them)
Sunrise, I've heard some good things about...
Simonton is a common name, but I've never looked at them yet.
The Milgards and the Gorells, I'm not so sure 'bout that...

So, that's it???

I'm thinking to make the list, I'm looking for great NFRC numbers, soft-edge spacer, 100% virgin vinyl (for real, not claiming to be, but isn't), etc...

Here's the reason I'm asking.
I have to make this move to Peoria, Il, regretfully, and I do not want to sell garbage. It's bad enough the bulk of the companies I talked are way to similar in practice to my old company (whose name I won't mention because I don't want them to call the police on me like they threatend to do if I ever step foot in that office again, even though they OWE ME MONEY for my last sale I had :roll: and yes, just because I KNOW those people read this board, I'm writing this!!) and that none I talked to know how to market, or really work with the banks, or get leads in the winter, or want me to go knocking on doors, or use stupid, stupid sales tactics.... :cry:

GAWD!! I DO NOT WANT TO MAKE THIS MOVE!!!! :cry:

cazzy

New Gorell window line.

#12 Post by cazzy »

Pinnenergy. I was approached by a salesman touting their latest line of vinyl windows. He didn't even seem to know the name of it, had no brochures, etc. He said that its much like the 5300 series, but with thicker glass and is now their best window. He said it hasn't been advertised yet and they were offering huge discounts to five homeowners in each neigborhood to be able to show it to future buyers. Others on this board said it was a sales gimmick and I have no reason to doubt it. Sounds kind of fishy to me.

Are you aware of this new product, the name, and can you tell me anything about it?

pinnenergy

Gorell

#13 Post by pinnenergy »

Gorell, as far as I'm aware has no replacement or upgrade of the 5300 series. My guess is that the potential contractor has the 5100 series. When saying the glass is thicker, he/she may have been refering to the polyvinyl butyral armor glass. Some companies have private label Gorell windows and his boss told him it was a different window. The NFRC (National Fenestration Rating Council) has no upgraded windows listed in their database of rated windows, so that usually means there is no upgrade at all. Good Luck in your search!

pinnenergy

Alside

#14 Post by pinnenergy »

I was wrong about Alside! Please forgive me. The only reason I posted is because all the posters were out of state and I wanted to be as objective as possible. After careful consideration of many windows, I chose Gorell for my home. Gorell has a wonderful u-value and has saved me and average of 120.00 per month on my bills! The truth is there are so many good windows out there to choose from that it is so subjective. Pray tell, are there any other whoppers in my rant?

pinnenergy

Retraction

#15 Post by pinnenergy »

To correct my last statement about the ES Partner of the year.

Alside won the award when they were giving out more than one award in the U.S. per year. Each region received an award in 2000, 2001, and 2002.

Gorell is the only window manufacturer to win the award two consecutive years since the government began bestowing only one national award. That is where my statement was incorrect. Nowhere else.