What is the general opinion of Champion Windows???

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
bones

What is the general opinion of Champion Windows???

#1 Post by bones »

I just got a quote from them for 2 double double hungs (not a typo).

He said he was giving me a "smokin deal" for these 2 windows as I had been to the showroom 4 times and there was never anyone there to help me. What do you think:

2 identical openings
rough openings: 71.5" x 54"
side by side double hung
tilt-in windows (upper and lower sash)
grids in top sash
argon filled
Comfort 365 glass (heat reflective surfaces - seemed to be very effective)

He quoted me $1265 for both sets of windows...installed, along with wrapping the wood trim.

The warranty seems pretty simple and straighforward.

What are your opinions of Champion, especially at this price for these windows. I know most of the professionals here think they are "meh", but is this a good price at least for these windows?

THanks!!!

bones

#2 Post by bones »

No one has an opinion? Or no one reads these???

windowrep

#3 Post by windowrep »

they make a pretty cool sun room. their windows are full of foam. it is still a great price for 4 windows and 2 factory mulls. make sure the fit right because it sounds as though they had them laying around the warehouse and think they can make them fit. are they still doing he old heat lamp trick?

searspro

#4 Post by searspro »

I agree with the rep, the price is right. Would be cautious of the fit. I also would require references on the person or crew installing the windows. Even the best windows "suck" (air) if not installed properly! Ask to see one or two of their local previously installed jobs. I'm sure that shouldn't be a problem, if it is, why?

bones

#5 Post by bones »

HAHAHA...OK new info

When I spoke with the Champion rep, I told him I needed 2 71-54" openings filled with twin doublehungs. He said OK. The fact that I had 2 openings that size came up several times through our conversation.

Today, the measurer came out and seemed a bit confused...he called the rep and OOPS, the rep thought I was talking about only 1 opening!!! They wanted to charge me $1265 for one set of twin doublehung!!!

$2500 for both of them PLUS I would have to pay an extra $140 to get full size screens!!

Needless to say, I just laughed and told the measurer I was canceling the order. He said "I don't blame you".

I got a bid from a local company to install both openings with Simonton Platinum double hungs (with full screens) for $1590.

I answered my own question...what is the general opinion of Champion???

CRAP!!! The windows might be OK, but not at those prices!! I called the rep (rip) and told him I was canceling. he didn't try to sweeten the deal at all, so he knew he was busted.

To everyone: you will ALWAYS find a better deal going with a local dealer than going to Chumpion. You will get equivalent or BETTER windows for a MUCH lower price.

searspro

#6 Post by searspro »

The first price sounded to good to be true, and it was. Just beware of the local companies warranty and service after the sale. I've heard way too many horror stories about the "local co.". Your decision should be based on more than just quality of the window, if your keeping your house for the long haul. I've replaced hundreds of windows that came from the local guy, that was evidently no longer local. You probably will have no recourse with the manufacturer. Even if you do, labor will still be an issue. I hate to put all local companies in that catagory, but I do feel like it's a gamble. I still would ask for references on the installer. Good luck with your project. BTW, when Sears "mulls" windows together, they use a steel strip on top and bottom. This could be standard for the industry, I'm not sure, but it does make a solid unit.

windowrep

#7 Post by windowrep »

SEARSPRO
just for your own info champion is a window manufacturer. they are not a window broker.

searspro

#8 Post by searspro »

Windowrep,
Thanks for the info. I knew Champion was a manufacturer. But I thought champion also sold and installed what they manufacture. I wasn't referring to Champion as a "local company".

windowrep

#9 Post by windowrep »

your right searspro i misread your post. i apologize.

NW Window Pro

#10 Post by NW Window Pro »

I am a "local contractor" and local contractor is not a bad thing. I am a very strong believer in references. If a company has a strong reference list that you can call then they are probably a good company to discuss business with. Ultimately, the goal is to find a nice high quality window and a reputable company to stand behind it. Compare prices and products carefully and make an informed decision. If the price sounds too good to be true then it probably is and if it feels like it is way too high, then it may well be. Champion is known to lure you in with a cheap price.

searspro

#11 Post by searspro »

NW Window Pro,
I should apologize to you. I tend to put all "local companies" in the catagory of fly by nights. Sorry. There are some very dependable people out there that go on their own to avoid the politics of big corporation. I fully understand their motivation. It just seems the dependable ones are few and far between. Most are looking for the quick money, with no pride or respect for the victims they prey on. Sorry for generalizing. I, too am a firm believer in references.