Milgard M#6127 vs Simonton M#6200

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
bja5150

Milgard M#6127 vs Simonton M#6200

#1 Post by bja5150 »

My wife and I are doing some remodels to our home. We have a late 60s home and it has the original aluminum windows. We have lived here about 8 years and replacing windows was high on our list to do. We have some money now to do some of our big projects so I just need some advice. We went to Lowes to get some information and we left with two quotes (one by Milgard style #6127 and one for Jeldwen). They were almost identical in costs...we leaned to the Milgard one. We also went to Home Depot and they set up a in home sales thing. They recommended the Simonton 6200 series for us. The Home Depot windows seemed like a good window, but were more expensive. The cost for windows and labor from Lowes was around $4000 for us while Home Depot was like $6500. Home Depot has a strong warranty and any window dry rot for example was covered in the cost to fix. Not sure about Lowes, but warranty was good too. They both were tax creditable ones. We are getting a slider replaced and six various sized windows. I will be totally honest....I know alittle about windows(newbie level), but I do not probably know all that I could make the best decesion. I am just wondering the spread in costs between the stores. I don't want to just go with what is cheap and lose in the long run. I also don't want to spend an extra $2000 if not necessary. We have plans of replacing the roof, new garage door and a few others....we have around $16,000 to play with. The roof is going to be the biggest and windows will be #2. We just want to keep things on budget, be tax creditable and be of good quality. We live just north of Portland, OR and are in need of some advice to make the final decision. Thanks for your help.

Brent

Windows on Washington

Re: Milgard M#6127 vs Simonton M#6200

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I would do more research before I invested any substantial amount of money.

You will likely get better project management and pricing from a more specialized shop.

Skydawggy

#3 Post by Skydawggy »

I would contact a few independent window contractors and get pricing on the windows they carry. As an example, Simonton make the same model HD carries and sells it through window companies as the Reflections and Prism series. Same window but usually it can be purchsed for less than HD sells it for. I would also look at a few other brands just to get a feel for what's available in your area. Typically, hardware stores aren't the best places to purchase windows. Nor are they the best places to get the best installaton.

mnfmkf

#4 Post by mnfmkf »

Try energy guard of Newberg Oregon .

I am presently looking for replacement windows and so far have been impressed.

Thanks Mike

PS Stay out of the HD they installed my carpets 3 times and never got it right.

HD re tiled my bathroom 3 times before they got it right.

I understand that they can get some bad sub contractors.

But when they treat the customer like DOOKIE and tolerate poor work thats the END.

WORST OF ALL THEY TREATED US LIKE DIRT.

From the store manager to the EXECS back east they were not very nice and basically told us to KISS OFF

Home depot NEVER AGAIN !!

magnumforc

#5 Post by magnumforc »

We had 9 Simonton 6200 relacement windows installed, including two unusual geometric shapes, two picture windows and 5 sliders for a total of $7300 by Home Depot's THD at Home Services. With the Tax rebate the cost will be about $5800, which amounts to about $650 per window, installed.

Maybe not the cheapest, but the coordination and the installation was excellent. Scheduling, keeping us in the loop, making several changes enroute to add the Sound and Security laminated glass package for extra sound reduction to some windows, etc. (we live near a freeway) Workers showed up on time, did a high quality job, cleaned up, left no mess, careful with the home, and we're very pleased. Plus, the same crew, although subcontractors, does nothing but installs for HD in this area.

Plus, got the lifetime warranty on the entire installation, frames, glass breakage, screens and all.

As an investigator, I ran everything through every agency and check I could find before using these people and they came up very well. However, the caveat here is simple. There is a HUGE difference between the THD at Home Services and simply going to the Home Depot and having them order the windows and installing them. We found many unhappy customers dealing direct with the stores where each job was subcontracted to someone new and the store managers just don't seem to give a darn, and the guy you dealt with in the store apparently can't help either. In one case, the regional manager for a well-known window and door company refused to come out to look at a problem door!