Just signed a contract--yep another of those stories

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
mralt

Just signed a contract--yep another of those stories

#1 Post by mralt »

Just signed (under "special deal--our sign on the road--I am giving up my commission--today only" duress) a contract for 13 windows. Then i discovered this webside, so am probably going to cancel the contract, and do what i wanted to do, i.e. get some more estimates, do the research. Thanks guys!!!

Anyone know anything about Thermo-tite windows (NYC area)? They are a one-stop company, manufacture & install the windows themselves.

Is $7000 a good price for 13 double-hung windows, size 30x54"? They are double-pane unrecycled vinyl foam-filled frames, U=.3, life-time guarantee, 98% argon-filled, doublestrength glass, 7/8" space betw. glass, warm-edge technology spacer PPG intercept spacer system,heavy-duty integral lift rail, energy-star, constant force balancing, factory trained installers, rotted wood replaced. etc.etc. trying to list all his selling points...

Wonderful forum!!! great education!

HipKat

#2 Post by HipKat »

Decent price for semi-decent windows. There are alot better windows available. There are also worse.
The claim on this website is that only a very select handful of windows are truly 100% vinyl., and yours weren't on that list. Intercept spacer is ok, but soft edge superspacer (non-metallic) is way better and very prevelant in the industry, in other windows. .30 u-value is nothing to brag about. 1" glass pack is more efficient than a 7/8" glass pack. And the foam filled lineals has been the subject of a very recent discusion on this board as being nothing advantageous to the window. Are these lowE?? Double LowE?? Welded frames and sashes?? And what type of re-inforcement do the frames have, if any??
To be honest, I think they sound alot like the stuff home depot sells for less money.

mralt

#3 Post by mralt »

thanks for feedback! here's more from their spec list:

lowE, multipoint fused welded window, beveled exterior frame, interlocking sashes (sealed along lock line),split level, double insulated, raised window sill, easy sash removal, tilt-in, locking 1/2 screen, vent tabs, warm-edged technology, state of the art, insulated, one piece spacer-no aluminum between glass, duel pick-proof cam locking system... gave the hot-lamp shining through the window demo...

HipKat

#4 Post by HipKat »

Everything you just listed is pretty much standard in almost all vinyl replacement windows. I still the the price is too high for those.
And the heat lamp trick, is just that....a trick! Look at actual numbers for the real story, like R-Value, and he probably gave you a center of glass value, not the whole window. With a U-Value of .3, that gives it an r-value of 3.3. I think energy star's minimum standars is 3.9 or 3.7. Also, what's the solar heat gain factor?? (SHGF). LowE is also called smart glass. It's neat how it works. In the summer, the sun's rays are more direct, and it does a good job of blocking the heat from coming in your house. In the inter, they're more indirect, and lowE glass allows a certain amount of heat gain. You can find similatr windows for less than 540 a window. As much as I pick apart window world, they'd sell you those same type windows for alot less than that, I'm betting. Are they going to wrap the exterior casing covers or charge extra for that? How's the warranty? The intercept spacer isn't aluminum, but is metal. there are alot of questions you should ask before you spend alot of money on your house, believe me, and the window industry is pretty cut-throat. everyone will tell you they have the best windows out there, but you have to do some research to find out which actually are the best, which are very good, and which are not so good, and when you figure there's over 300 manufacturers of replacement windows, it get'd daunting.

Living in the NYC area, I'd look into Schuco windows, which can be pricey but are THE best, simonton get's good reviews on here, amoungst alot of others. The BIGGEST thing for me, is that I, myself, would not get windows with metal spacers, or any metal in the frames. There are better ways to reinforce the frames than metal, which if nothing else, makes the sashes alot heavier. I don't know how old you are, but older people don't like to have to tilt in and out a heavier sash.

If you really wantt o get into the technical end, do a search on here for posts by fenex. He has posted alot of info about replacement windows and what to look for.

HipKat

#5 Post by HipKat »

Here, I made it easier for you:

search.php?search_author=FenEx

mralt

#6 Post by mralt »

thanks HipKat!

guess it is time to go do my homework (sorry about the pun).

also time to cancel that contract...