Energy Credit qualified windows

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
aero951

Energy Credit qualified windows

#1 Post by aero951 »

Hey does anyone out there know if the quality of replacement windows can be known by the fact that the particular replacement window in question qualifies for the Government energy credit?

I've got some replacement windows that were put in 10 years ago. Surely a window that qualifies for the max 30% tax credit now should be a better window than what I put in 10 years ago I am assuming, considering the time that has passed, etc?

Any thoughts? Thanks.....

Windows on Washington

Re: Energy Credit qualified windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Quality...no. Efficiency...sort of.

An Energy Star qualified (i.e. tax credit qualified) will meet certain performance minimums when it comes to thermal efficiency. This is indicative of what type of glass and/or gas fill is used. The window itself could ultimately be built to very poor tolerances and leak air like a sieve which would translate to very poor efficiency in a real world application. It could also be built using substandard vinyl or mil thickness and have many problems down the road during what would be considered a normal lifecycle.

aero951

#3 Post by aero951 »

Thanks Windows on Washington for the reply. That is what I was thinking.

I posted last week also. I am working with a window company and they are offering me an Alside UltraMaxx window or a Cutting Edge Plus window---both priced the same. I'm trying to figure out which one would be the better window to choose when looking between those two options.

Thanks. :D

allenmd

#4 Post by allenmd »

I had a window salesman tell me that the tax credit requirements could be changing in 2010. Is this true?

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Not to my knowledge. The ETC is for 2009-2010.

Skydawggy

#6 Post by Skydawggy »

It's possible the restrictions on SHGC may be eliminated for the Northern U.S.

http://www.dwmmag.com/index.php/legisla ... gislation/

Nicku315

#7 Post by Nicku315 »

How is the ratings and reviews for Alside windows? Anyone who have used it ?

Skydawggy

#8 Post by Skydawggy »

Alside makes a lot of windows. Some better than others. If you are refering to the Ultra-Maxx, it is a decent window and is one of Alsides top windows. What I don't like about it is it uses a "pocket sill" which has the sash set into a U shaped channel. The sill is designed to drain water through the frame and to exit at weep holes in the bottom of the frame. The problem is that the drain also carries pollen, dirt, insects and whatever else has accumulated there. Eventually the weep holes can become clogged allowing water to just stand inside the window along with the bugs, pollen etc.

Nicku315

#9 Post by Nicku315 »

How do you compare Alside Excalibur against Gorell 5300, OKNA 800, Simonton 5050, Ultrashield Windows and American Jewel 1700 ?

Skydawggy

#10 Post by Skydawggy »

I'd put the Excalbur towards the bottom of that list mainly because the Air Infiltration is a bit high at .21 cfm @ 25mph. The Gorell and Okna are the top choice. I would look at the Simonton 5500 before deciding.