Pella windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
yedi015

Pella windows

#1 Post by yedi015 »

Just curious how Pella windows are. I am looking to do my windows myself and like the Pella windows at Lowes. Are these good windows what model should I get. If not what is a good window for around 200.00 a window.

HipKat

#2 Post by HipKat »

One question?? Why are you willing to give up all your warranties by doing it yourself?? This is a major purchase for your home, one of the largest investments you have. Installing windows isn't like sticking a few plastic flamingos inthe garden. You actually have to "know" what you're doing. People who do this for a living are trained to do it, and spend alot of time installing alot of windows.
And for $200.00, you probably won't find a "good" window.

researcher

#3 Post by researcher »

"People who do this for a living are trained to do it, and spend alot of time installing alot of windows."

In many cases this may be fact, but that does not mean that they will do it right.

Took my car in for oil change, they forgot to tighten the oil filter.

Took my car in for oil change, they put to much oil in.

A friend took his car in for oil change, cross threaded the plug.

These people are trained and do it all day long. In some cases it is better to learn how to do it your self.

HipKat

#4 Post by HipKat »

replacing a poorly installed drain plug and some poorly installed windows are two different things

researcher

#5 Post by researcher »

"replacing a poorly installed drain plug and some poorly installed windows are two different things"

Of course; i have been reading about poorly installed windows on forums like this; they are much harder to deal with.

HipKat

#6 Post by HipKat »

And that, my friend, was exactly my point!! 8)

researcher

#7 Post by researcher »

Interpret my post any way you like.

Mrwindow

Pella

#8 Post by Mrwindow »

There wood windows are ok, but I would stay away from their vinyl line otherwise known as Thermastar. They use the cheapest vinyl on the market and use a thermabreak seal that has a 8inch gap of raw aluminum, in the top left or right corner of every sash. It will attract moisture.