Vanguard

If you are new to this type of board please try out some of your test posts & replies here!
BBMN

Vanguard

#1 Post by BBMN »

The website for Vanguard would indicate that they are an excellent window. I was wondering how they compare with other Vinyl windows.
I'm also interested in how they compare with Marvin and Anderson.
Vanguard is not listed in Consumer Reports last window replacement review (2007).
Is there an independent website that compares them with other windows?

Windows on Washington

Re: Vanguard

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Vanguard is a window line inside of the Sunrise Windows company.

It is a very solid window and good performer. I am not sure how it compares to Marvin or Andersen because you are comparing 3 very dissimilar window options.

BBMN

#3 Post by BBMN »

The vanguard website compares R-Factor and Air Infiltration ratings compared to wood windows.
Consumers Reports
Vinyl is inexpensive and convenient
It makes up about half of the replacement window market mostly because it's relatively inexpensive and maintenance-free. But vinyl replacement windows tend to leak air a bit more in cold climates. Vinyl also doesn't have the same visual appeal as wood, and it can't be painted or stained. So it might not be appropriate for older homes.

Vanguard seems to have improved the leakage problem. I guess I'm most interested in the quality of the glass and surrounding insulation structure. I know the look will be different from wood.
What other things should I be comparing?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

That commentary about vinyl is quite broad based and inaccurate for most of the brands that pros on here would recommend. Vinyl can have factory applied painted finishes as well and wood grain interiors (some stainable and paintable versions are available)

You should first define what your goals are for the window replacement. If you have no aversions to vinyl, you will be hard pressed to match the efficiency and inexpensiveness of a good vinyl window. Most of the vinyl windows that you will see talked about on here will have better air numbers than their wood counterparts.

If you want real wood, Marvin makes some of the best and Pella makes a nice insert as well.

In the "other" materials category, Marvin infinity is a very nice fiberglass window with good numbers and a great company behind it. Also comes in colors and and has a very nice interior option with the paintable and stainable Everwood.

Vanguard does have good air leakage numbers. I think they are around a 0.04. There are windows that are widely available that have air leakage numbers in the 0.02 and 0.01 range.

Only you can decide what the aesthetic impact of vinyl windows are. Some people hate them, others could care less.

BBMN

#5 Post by BBMN »

We live in a house in Minnesota that was built in the 1970s. I am 50 y.o. with MS. My wife is in good health. We would like to eventually do the entire house . Currently the house has wood casement windows. Some of the wood is deteriorating in the frames and there is mold in 3 of the window frames. There also is noticeable air leakage in some of the windows. We live in a rambler with a walkout basement. We would like to go with sliders. Altogether there are approximately 10 windows that need replacing. There are also 2 sliding glass doors that may need replacing eventually.

We would like energy efficient with low maintenance. We have seen the Vanguard vinyl and are OK with the look. We just want the most energy efficient/low maintenance/good quality window available at a good price.