new window measurements

For those self-installers
grampy

new window measurements

#1 Post by grampy »

Would the measurement be taken from inside frame to frame for replacement windows and is there a different way to measure for new construction windows (which I don't want)

shamu

Re: new window measurements

#2 Post by shamu »

Your installer would know the best way to measure for your application. The rough opening would need to be exposed to determine the window size for a "new construction" install.

grampy

#3 Post by grampy »

Thanks Shamu,
This is what I have for a measurement for the one opening.(2) windows side by side opening 71.75 W and was told that PGT does not mull at the factory so I know I will need to add the mull to the order.My question is what would the window measurement be for each of the two windows? 35.75 " each? and what mull would I need to order? Hope I didn't make this to confusing.Thanks for the help.

shamu

#4 Post by shamu »

Give the overall opening width, 71 3/4. They will make the deduction for the mull and make the windows accordingly.

TLHWINDOW

#5 Post by TLHWINDOW »

grampy wrote:Thanks Shamu,
This is what I have for a measurement for the one opening.(2) windows side by side opening 71.75 W and was told that PGT does not mull at the factory so I know I will need to add the mull to the order.My question is what would the window measurement be for each of the two windows? 35.75 " each? and what mull would I need to order? Hope I didn't make this to confusing.Thanks for the help.

I know this is an old topic, but wanted to let you know that depending on what series you go with from PGT, like the 2300 series, they do mull at the factory. Of course they can also make the dedutions needed as well if you want a different mull or are going with a different series.

grampy

#6 Post by grampy »

I am also getting a quote for the 400 series single hung window just waiting for it to get here.Thanks

TLHWINDOW

#7 Post by TLHWINDOW »

400 series is a nice series. A little more expensive, but you get a lot of re-enforcment in the frame. We just put in a set becuase they can come Tax Credit approved and with the nail fin. If you need any help let me know. I'm not a "guru" for PGT but I have installed a lot of their windows.

grampy

#8 Post by grampy »

I am still waitng for the quote on the 400 series. Just to let you know that they will have argon gas, grids,and the solarban 70xl which they say is a very good LOe coating.I hope they are correct since they will be installed in Florida. Thanks