triple vs double pane in sunrise windows?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
ckmountain

triple vs double pane in sunrise windows?

#1 Post by ckmountain »

I'm curious if anyone out there has much experience with the triple pane Sunrise restorations windows. I have a dealer in my area trying to sell me the triple pane ones since he says they are having a current promotion where the cost is the same as the double pane ones. His arguments for them were as follows:

better overall R value
filled with air and still qualify for tax credit, and eliminates problem of shipping argon filled windows to my altitude in Denver
more energy efficient than the double pane ones, even if low-E and argon filled.

My concerns are whether or not the added extra weight will make the functionality of the windows cumbersome and if it's just overkill. I'm looking at replacing 3 sliders 70" x 47", 4 double hungs 35" x 59", 2 single or double hung 35" X 70" with tempered glass, 1 slider 59" x 35" and 1 single or double hung 23" x 35" with obscured glass.

I'm basically looking at bids within a few hundred dollars of each other for the Sunrise Vanguard Windows w/the Low E 366 glass, MAXedge spacer, and argon fill vs the Sunrise Restorations triple pane, same spacer, air filled. (not clear on glass coating options for this one)

Thanks everyone!

Windows on Washington

Re: triple vs double pane in sunrise windows?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I would not concern myself with the weight issue of the window. The manufacturers have taken that into account and built the window accordingly. If you can get triple for the price of double, that is always a good deal.

randy

#3 Post by randy »

While I agree with WoW on the triple pane issue, one thing concerns me:
not clear on glass coating options for this one
I would not consider going triple pane without a low-e coating. Argon may be optional, but low-e is not.

copykatpro

#4 Post by copykatpro »

I have both double pane and triple pane Restorations in my house. All my triple panes are double hungs and they're definitely more difficult to open than my double pane sliders but not enough to not recommend getting the triple if it's the same price as double. I would double check what you're getting for triple pane though. I didn't know you could get tp Restorations without krypton, let alone gas. Regardless, the rooms in my house that have tp and dp are both pretty comfortable so you can't go wrong with either.

ckmountain

#5 Post by ckmountain »

thanks for your help, everyone. . .I'll clarify exactly what it is that they're selling in terms of the gas fill and glass coatings . . . I couldn't find anything online at the restorations site about triple pane without any gas fill either, but am not sure if it's something Sunrise has worked out specifically with this Denver area dealer due to our elevation

OkieDokieRick

#6 Post by OkieDokieRick »

I'm in Oklahoma where I'm more concerned about heat rather than cold, and I've been offered the same TP deal on a Vanguard as was the original poster. The bid was $850 for a 54"x54" double hung window if I also let him replace my vinyl siding. Otherwise, he didn't want to do just one window. This seems a little high to me, but supposedly a DP would be the same price.

Do you guys think $850 is reasonable for that size? (Generally, prices and the economy in Oklahoma have not been affected much by the recession, and we have always had a lower standard of living than where most of you are living.) And, do you think I should go with the TP in Oklahoma? I don't mind any increased tint it might cause. Also, because of the size of the window, would the increased weight be an issue?

Thanks for your help.
Rick

ckmountain

#7 Post by ckmountain »

OK, so since my last post, the double pane windows have gone down in cost by ~5%. So, all things being equal, is it worth an extra $65 per window for the triple pane and foam instead of fiberglass insulation around the opening?

Another option for me is putting in single hung sunrise triple pane restorations windows on the lower level which would decrease my cost a bit. I guess the single hung version don't have the foam filled frame, but are otherwise the same. . .any experience with the single hung restorations windows out there?

Skydawggy

#8 Post by Skydawggy »

I'd still opt for the TP for $65 more.

Whether it makes sense to go with single hung on the first floor depends on the cost difference. What you also need to consider is that if you have broken glass on the top sash with a SH, there is much more involved in replacing it compared to a DH. With a DH you simply replace the sash which you could do on your own in about 30 seconds or less. You will also give up the ability to tilt the top sash in for cleaning and will instead have to clean the windows on the outside perhaps using a ladder if it's a tall window or your yard has a slope on the side.

I always recommend asking yourself which you are going to care most about in 5 years, the money you saved or that you got exactly what you wanted?

randy

#9 Post by randy »

.....which you are going to care most about in 5 years, the money you saved or that you got exactly what you wanted?
Well said.