A vinyl window is a vinyl window is a vinyl window?

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
mike1965

A vinyl window is a vinyl window is a vinyl window?

#1 Post by mike1965 »

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and have single pane aluminum windows and I'm looking to replace them with a vinyl retrofit. All installers offer lifetime warranty and so do most window manufactures. So, why choose one over the other? I'm looking for quality of the product. Sight lines, 'the look' of the windows is a personal choice, but who make a solid quality product? Simonton, LBL, who and why?

Thanks.

thermal99

Re: A vinyl window is a vinyl window is a vinyl window?

#2 Post by thermal99 »

quality of vinyl differs greatly from one manufacturer to the next. thickness(guage of the vinyl).
engineering of the window itself. all vinyl is NOT created equal.

mike1965

#3 Post by mike1965 »

Ok if all vinyl is NOT created equal, who makes the better products?

thermal99

#4 Post by thermal99 »

Okna, Gorell,sunrise,soft lite,schuco(Force V),PARK AVENUE (BY THERMAL INDUSTRIES).

mike1965

#5 Post by mike1965 »

Those aren't very common out on the west coast and could not locate a local dealer. But thanks.

thermal99

#6 Post by thermal99 »

throw me some names available and i'll give you my opinion.

mike1965

#7 Post by mike1965 »

I'm looking at Simonton 7300 series and LBL 2000 series. One feature LBL is touting is the cover for the drain hole. They have a flap which prevents bugs coming into the house and Sinomton doesn't. My main concern is the quality. Thanks.

Skydawggy

#8 Post by Skydawggy »

I think Amerimax is available on the West Coast. So is Milgard. Both are decent windows. There are some Pro's on here from the West. Perhaps they will chime in.

bkeefe01

#9 Post by bkeefe01 »

mike1965 wrote:I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and have single pane aluminum windows and I'm looking to replace them with a vinyl retrofit. All installers offer lifetime warranty and so do most window manufactures. So, why choose one over the other? I'm looking for quality of the product. Sight lines, 'the look' of the windows is a personal choice, but who make a solid quality product? Simonton, LBL, who and why?

Thanks.
A lifetime warranty means nothing without reading the fine print and/or the exclusions.

mike1965

#10 Post by mike1965 »

True about the warranty, but the question remains; what truely makes one vinyl window better than another?

Skydawggy

#11 Post by Skydawggy »

mike1965 wrote:True about the warranty, but the question remains; what truely makes one vinyl window better than another?

As mentioned the quality of the vinyl.
The dies used can vary greatly and will affect the windows structural performance.
Hardware differences.
Manufacturing equipment used by the factory.
Quality and experience of the employees performing manuf. tasks.
Management at the factory.
Honoring warranties and customer satisfaction.
Manufacturers and Installers reputation.

These are some of the items that wil also affect long term durability. Cheap windows will typically lose their initial energy efficiency over time. The question should be "what makes a cheap window Cheap"?

All Manufacturers define a market segment they are interested in capturing and then make a window designed to appeal to that segment. If someone purchases their furniture from a Discount Store, has Formica Counter Tops in their kitchen and is the type of person who only purchases anything when it's on "Sale", then it is likely they will have difficulty understanding what quality is. It is akin to looking at automobile tires and deciding they are all the same because they are all black, round and have tread on them.

LTD

#12 Post by LTD »

thermal99 wrote:throw me some names available and i'll give you my opinion.
What do you think about preservation windows ?

thanks,

LTD
extremeinfo2008@gmail.com

americanmade

#13 Post by americanmade »

Develop yourself a list of features you want in a new window. Then include those for each and every quote you request. Do not let a dealer talk you out of it.

Some items you should consider:

1. Performance - there is a range here and the better the performance the higher the cost.
2. Look at the sample windows and decide for yoursefl if they look well made. Manufacturing skills are a key part of the window. Try to get a factory tour and look for cleanliness, process flow and signs of quality assurance.
3. Call the Warranty 800-number and ask some questions. Most will tell all despite what their "bosses" tell them. Ask about what the most common repairs are. If it is something other than hardware failure or installation problems - stay away.
4. How many years has the company been making windows and how many daelers do they have. The more dealers mean you get McDonalds level quality and service. Less dealers probably means a more selective manufacturer.
5. What do your neigbors have and do they like what they have.

buddy110

#14 Post by buddy110 »

americanmade wrote:Develop yourself a list of features you want in a new window. Then include those for each and every quote you request. Do not let a dealer talk you out of it.

Some items you should consider:

1. Performance - there is a range here and the better the performance the higher the cost.
2. Look at the sample windows and decide for yoursefl if they look well made. Manufacturing skills are a key part of the window. Try to get a factory tour and look for cleanliness, process flow and signs of quality assurance.
3. Call the Warranty 800-number and ask some questions. Most will tell all despite what their "bosses" tell them. Ask about what the most common repairs are. If it is something other than hardware failure or installation problems - stay away.
4. How many years has the company been making windows and how many daelers do they have. The more dealers mean you get McDonalds level quality and service. Less dealers probably means a more selective manufacturer.
5. What do your neigbors have and do they like what they have.
:mrgreen: at 2 and 3 :mrgreen: :roll: