Carefree Brand Windows Warranty: To File A Defects Claim

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
kenneigh

Carefree Brand Windows Warranty: To File A Defects Claim

#1 Post by kenneigh »

Several years ago I hired a contractor to install new replacement windows at my house in Northern Virginia. The CAREFREE brand was installed at a cost of $4,200.00. Twenty-six windows.

Within a year, 12 of the windows had filmed over, some so bad that they appeared to be tinted.

The manufacturer of the Carefree brand, Reliant Building Products, went bankrupt shortly after my windows were installed by Consumer Construction, Inc., of Woodbridge, Virginia. When I contacted the contractor, Consumer Construction, its owner said they were aware of the Reliant bankruptcy, but only warranted their installation work. The Better Business Bureau (BBB) of Greater Washington, D.C., told me Consumer Construction refused an offer to arbitrate either replacing or reimbursing me for the faulty windows. My BBB case remains open as unresolved.

I recently learned that there is, or was, a warranty claim service set aside to handle claims against Reliant (or its receiver), but to complete a claim, the service requires a copy of the manufacturer's warranty.

Does anyone know if, or how, I can get one?

Thanks,

Kenneigh

kenneigh@hotmail.com

Henry5

Re: Carefree Brand Windows Warranty: To File A Defects Claim

#2 Post by Henry5 »

The manufacturer is the one that has the warranty on your windows. not the installation company.

Its a shame you reported the installation company to the BBB since they were not the ones responsible for the windows warranty.

Why would you think the company installing the windows is responsible 7 years later to replace them?

Your a piece of work...
Last edited by Henry5 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

kenneigh

#4 Post by kenneigh »

In reply to semi-literate Henry5, who replied to my post as follows ...

"The manufacturer is the one that has the warranty on your windows. not the installation company.

Its a shame you reported the installation company to the BBB since they were not the ones responsible for the windows warranty.

Why would you think the company installing the windows is responsible 7 years later to replace them?

Your a piece of work... "

Last edited by Henry5 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

===========
Dear Heinie5:

Correct grammar would be "It's a shame ..., not "Its" ... and "'You're," not "Your a piece of work ..."

You appear to be the type of near-brainless, ill-educated hillbilly who might have installed my windows. Is this possible?

Anyway, Heino,

(a) The BBB tried to negotiate some type of arbitration with Consumer Construction, but the company would not agree, even though it's possible the company's POOR INSTALLATION was the reason for my failed and faulty windows. If so, Consumer Construction REMAINS responsible, although the company, naturally, never acknowledged such.

(b) The BBB never declined to accept my case against Consumer Construction on the basis of "responsibility." The BBB's first and middle names are "BETTER" and "BUSINESS."

(c) I have been trying for years to reach some sort of middle ground with Consumer Construction, which -- wouldn't you know? -- no longer installs windows!

(d) Sound and HONEST business practice by Consumer Construction in this matter does not include a refusal to arbitrate.

If you have difficulty reading and understanding this message, let me know and perhaps we can arrange a translator for you who understands ignorant.

Ta-ta!

shamu

#5 Post by shamu »

kenneigh,

While I agree the poster had no reason to call you out, the company that installed the windows had no obligation as to the manufacturing defect with your windows. It is highly unlikely that the installation had anything to do with the cause of the seal failure to the glass. Possible, but highly unlikely. If you can somehow prove the installation caused the seal failure then they should be willing to accept responsibility and resolve the issue for you.

shamu

TommyJ

#6 Post by TommyJ »

Lets go ahead and let everyone agree to disagree and I think we can dispatch with the name calling.

The installation company was, in all likelihood, not the causer of the glass failure. At an average price of $162/installed, there is zero room built into that price for the company to service the windows after the fact or for the manufacturer to ever warranty the window against any defect.

I am sorry that you are basically out $4200, but a quick survey of window pricing and some more careful research should have alerted you to the fact that $162 is just not consistent with any kind of quality window pricing.

I guess this is an unfortunate example of you getting what you paid for. I, like the other posters, am not sure how that is the installation company's fault?

According to their BBB record, they have no outstanding reports.

http://dc-easternpa.bbb.org/codbrep.html?wlcl=y&id=5994

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

I've seen Carefree windows with seal failure in my area. Black swiggle spacer migration. Very cheap, but also common for the era.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

I have never seen a window installed for $160 a hole. That makes Window World look like Long Fence. :lol:

Delaware Mike

#9 Post by Delaware Mike »

WOW. Unfortunately, I have. My Uncle's Brother-In law. He had me out several years ago on a window estimate. Nice guy, I worked with him years ago in industrial manufacturing. We made vinyl of all things in pellet form for BF Goodrich in their poly division. I gave him a price installed that had enough profit for me to take my girl out for Taco Bell and sit at home with a second rate VHS movie from a flee market. He laughed me out of Dodge. He proceeded to show me his American Craftsmen/Silverline windows that he has purchased for $115 each and paid some poor out work guy $30 a window with capping to install, included all materials. So, basically the installer had enough money to buy a pack of smokes, some beer and some food for like one more day.........

Spike

#10 Post by Spike »

kenneigh wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:49 am Dear Heinie5:

Correct grammar would be "It's a shame ..., not "Its" ... and "'You're," not "Your a piece of work ..."

You appear to be the type of near-brainless, ill-educated hillbilly who might have installed my windows. Is this possible?GBWhatsApp APK
Who gives that much attention to the grammar? As long as the reader understands it without any confusion or another meaning, it's good.