Seasonal price drop?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
windowshopping

Seasonal price drop?

#1 Post by windowshopping »

Is it / should it be cheaper to shop for windows now, in the middle of the winter? I would not think many people would be eager to have their windows replaced in Dec/Jan and so demand would be lower. If I got some quotes in July, is it reasonable to anticipate them being lower now?

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Windows cost a contractor more to install during the winter than any other season. A job that would take two days in the middle of the summer can drag out to a week+ in the winter because of shorter daylight and inclement weather. Anyone who is trying to stay in business for the long run will not be significantly discounting windows in the winter.

That said, some guys that are broke and desperate for money will do them for less in the dead of winter. Just be aware that they may not be around long if they are in that bad of financial shape.
You may get them cheaper now, but have no one to service them down the road, which could end up costing you more in the long run.

windowshopping

#3 Post by windowshopping »

Thanks. I had not thought of it from that perspective-- that's an excellent point.

JScott

#4 Post by JScott »

To add to Window4U post, Katrina knocked out one of the vinyl processing plants and vinyl has been increasing rapidly, aided also by the fact that vinyl windows are 43% petroleum. Overall, you should expect to pay 12-16% more now than in July and the 2006 increases will make you wish you purchased in July 2005.

WindDoze

#5 Post by WindDoze »

While both W4U and JScott are correct about the higher cost of installation in the winter and the rising cost of vinyl -- the biggest reason you might be able to get a lower price now over last July is simply that December is the slowest sales month of the year for most home improvement companies. Its not that they are going broke, or are desparate for cash -- its just that they might be more willing to allow a discount in order to bring in additonal revenue in a slow month.

Just like the best day to buy a car is on the last day of the month, the best time of the year to buy windows (from a customer standpoint) is December. If you are ready to pull the trigger call the rep back and make him an offer!

windowrep

#6 Post by windowrep »

most major companies have a pricing sheet to follow and it does not allow for different times of the year. that being said if you are talking savings of a couple hundred bucks it is worth a shot. if you think windows are going to be half price you are dealing with a company that will not be in business in the spring. winter comes along every year and most companies make it through just fine. as a matter of fact when i was a contractor/installer december was usually a pretty good month for me. alot of people use the purchase as a tax benefit [dont ask me how]they receive christmas money or have received there first gas bill for the winter months. very hopeful on the savings aspect, but also be cautious.

HipKat

#7 Post by HipKat »

We don't increase our discounts just for the time of year, but then we don't pull that negotiating stuff alot of companies do. The price is the price with the only discount being for volume and grade of window (dbl pane vs triple pane, etc). But, in order to make it more feasible, especially at this time of year, and considering imminent increases (our siding went up 10% and some window styles 5% on Nov 1st), we're working with the banks to try and get 90 and 180 day deferrals on secured and unsecured loans.

FenEx

#8 Post by FenEx »

Some dealers are offering 50% off of twice their normal price. Gotta jump on those while they are available. Tis the season.

Bill

#9 Post by Bill »

Boy that’s a generous offer; they should spend the rest of their advertising budget on that.

Call it the heads I win tails you loose Christmas Special

Bill
Uneeda Window

Guy

#10 Post by Guy »

Windoze makes a very good point from the business side of the trade. At least from the Northern part of the U.S. I personally would rather move down to AZ in the Winter months to install windows. The installation time per window almost triples in the cold. Tools freeze up, nine inches of cold weather gear, take more coffee break's to warm up and it's more difficult moving around a house with two feet of snow. You also need to be more careful because the mess inside can get bad from melting snow. So the typical one day job turns into a two day event.
Windoze statement on the slower part of the season is on the money. Since the customer base is lower during these month's the sales staff will sharpen their pencils to get the job. They go from bidding on twelve jobs a week down to four. Their competition is also after these four jobs and they are also sharpening up the pencil. If they want the job they will have to low ball the bid. Then you add FenEx's statement on the 50% off in these month's from some manufacturer's. This is because the manufacturer's want to dump as much product at the years end to clear their stock. Inventory time is coming up and they don't want to spend a ton of time counting items they can push out the door. It's a common practice around the Nation for all businesses.