Abcleads.com BBB Business Review  NAHB member
Call us at
1-800-219-5332

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Transom windows leak
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:38 am 

We purchased a new home in Plainfield, Illinois in October 2007 with “Visions” vinyl single hung windows with a transom above. We noticed water was collecting on the interior window sill directly below the transom (the ledge between the transom window & the main window) on all 13 of our windows during heavy rains. After testing we found out this was caused because there are gaps in the seals between the glass & frame of the transom windows. The builders’ superintendent and the suppliers’ repairman told me that the windows should be removed, re-sealed & re-glazed. The window company came out, put an exterior “cap bead” of sealant around each window & told me they consider this a permanent fix. My concern is that the windows were defective in the manufacturing process and eventually the seal will deteriorate because of Chicago weather & the problem will re-occur.
My questions is - should I remove the glass, re-seal & re-glaze, or believe their claims that the outside seal will last as long as the inside seal?

Post subject: Re: Transom windows leak
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:45 pm 
It will probably hold up , but it would be better to seal the glass from the other side.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:32 pm 

bad from the manufacturer. sounds like the glass has separated from the glazing tape. for whatever reason. i would deglaze, reglaze... no matter what.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:31 pm 

With out seeing the "cap bead", I would reglaze into a wet bed.