New constuction

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
2BY4

New constuction

#1 Post by 2BY4 »

Looking for recommendation for new construction in New Jersey.Leaning toward Andersen 200.But been hearing alot of good things about Simonton.

TLHWINDOWS

Re: New constuction

#2 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

Simonton makes an Ok window in the new construction style.

If you are not looking for price points and want a really good window, most window companies offer a new construction window as well as a replacement.

Gorell
PGT
Simonton

Skydawggy

#3 Post by Skydawggy »

TLHWINDOWS wrote:Simonton makes an Ok window in the new construction style.

If you are not looking for price points and want a really good window, most window companies offer a new construction window as well as a replacement.

Gorell
PGT
Simonton

Oh, really? Which PGT model are you comparing to which model Gorell and Simonton and what are you comparing?

cbmmike

#4 Post by cbmmike »

If you are looking at anything you should look at the Infinity from Marvin. They offer a new construction window that is hands down better performing than any wood or vinyl. It may cost a little more money, but you never have to replace them!

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#5 Post by Window4U (IL) »

cbmmike wrote:If you are looking at anything you should look at the Infinity from Marvin. They offer a new construction window that is hands down better performing than any wood or vinyl.
Really? It beats a .16 U-factor, a .01 air infiltration rate and a DP70 like on the Softlite Elements? I wasn't aware it performed better than that.

TommyJ

#6 Post by TommyJ »

Window4U (IL) wrote:
cbmmike wrote:If you are looking at anything you should look at the Infinity from Marvin. They offer a new construction window that is hands down better performing than any wood or vinyl.
Really? It beats a .16 U-factor, a .01 air infiltration rate and a DP70 like on the Softlite Elements? I wasn't aware it performed better than that.
He forgot to mention that the Marvin Infinity helps old ladies across busy streets while vinyl windows kick puppies.

What a joke :roll:

TLHWINDOWS

#7 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

Skydawggy wrote:

Gorell
PGT
Simonton

Oh, really? Which PGT model are you comparing to which model Gorell and Simonton and what are you comparing?
Sarcasm? hmmm. maybe?

Model comparison can only be done when you know what model you are comparing. He said Simonton, well Simonton makes a Builders grade New Construction window, and that is all it is, "Builders" grade. I like PGT's 400 series, re-enforced frame, multiple glass configurations. It can get a little pricey, but its a really great window, but not a "price point" window.

Heck, you can pick up a Gorell 5300 and snap on thier nail fin and have a great new construction window.

So I'm not sure what your point is.

Skydawggy

#8 Post by Skydawggy »

TLHWINDOWS wrote:
Skydawggy wrote:

Gorell
PGT
Simonton

Sarcasm? hmmm. maybe?

Model comparison can only be done when you know what model you are comparing. He said Simonton, well Simonton makes a Builders grade New Construction window, and that is all it is, "Builders" grade. I like PGT's 400 series, re-enforced frame, multiple glass configurations. It can get a little pricey, but its a really great window, but not a "price point" window.

Heck, you can pick up a Gorell 5300 and snap on thier nail fin and have a great new construction window.

So I'm not sure what your point is.

Didn't know you were unaware that the Simonton 5500 is available with nailing fin and therefore can be used for new construction. That's why I asked what models you were comparing.

TLHWINDOWS

#9 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

I don't know too much on the types of Simonton. I know I've installed some of there builders windows. Nor did I know the 5500 has a snap in fin.

But my point was really that there are alot of good brands out there that can be used be "New Construction" other than just a New Construction window.

-A

Bill

#10 Post by Bill »

The fin on the 5500 is not snap on, snap on fins stink in my opinion. The Simonton 5500, 9800 and Strom Breaker series has a separate main frame for new construction with an integral fin.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#11 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Bill wrote:The fin on the 5500 is not snap on, snap on fins stink in my opinion. The Simonton 5500, 9800 and Storm Breaker series has a separate main frame for new construction with an integral fin.
It's nice to see the main manufacturers go to integral fins instead of the snap-in ones they used to use. The integral fin welded frames give much better insurance that the window is waterproof.
Just like the Simonton windows you mentioned, Softlite, Sunrise, and Okna windows also have integral fin frame extrusions for new construction applications.