PELLA LAWSUIT (Pella vs Anderson vs Marvins)

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
herbert

PELLA LAWSUIT (Pella vs Anderson vs Marvins)

#1 Post by herbert »

While shopping for windows, I was quoted prices for Anderson 100 and 400 series, marvin (aluminum and wood clad), and Loews Pella 850 (Architect series I believe)

For six windows, installation and labor:

Anderson 400: $7400 Clad (wood +?)
Anderson 100: $4500
Marvin $6400 clad (wood + ?)
Pella $4750

I was tempted to go with the Pella's, but found out there's a class action lawsuit over their defective windows (water leaks). Anyone have an opinion regarding this issue and/or their windows? Or some of the windows I've mentioned?

Thanks.

buddy110

Re: PELLA LAWSUIT (Pella vs Anderson vs Marvins)

#2 Post by buddy110 »

there's no contest... Marvin hands down

randy

#3 Post by randy »

buddy110 wrote:there's no contest... Marvin hands down
I agree.

herbert

#4 Post by herbert »

I was tempted with the Pella's since with some discount coupons I got I would save almost $2000 on the whole job. But with the lawsuit hanging, I was extremely disappointed.

Thanks.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

I agree that the Marvin's are the best of the bunch, however if price is an issue, the Pella architect series (850) is actually not that bad IMO. Their Pro-line is a disgrace, but I have installed the 850's with no complaints... Just don't expect good customer service if any issues do arise.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Marvin are very nice but the Pella Architects aren't bad at all. We have installed them on several jobs with positive feedback. The only issue was glass cracking from poor QA at Pella. Took forever to get sashes too.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

I've also installed many Architect series with good results and happy customers. :)

tillie

#8 Post by tillie »

i was just at a home show this afternoon talking to a rep about wood windows with extruded aluminum exteriors.... the aluminum is "glued" to the exterior wood for maintence free exterior. What is happening, is the glue is losing it's "stick" and releasing from the wood....which leaves a space for moisture to start working, which eventually lets water run down inside where the glue was and it runs down to the corners of the window and starts rotting the wood... so that is the question I would ask any rep if the window has extruded aluminum exterior, thought to be good. I am starting to ask these questions before I make my choice for windows in a new home

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

Sounds like a sales pitch to me... So what was he selling?

JScott

#10 Post by JScott »

Pella does not use extruded aluminum on there sashes. Andersen uses a vinyl paint on there sashes.

Extruded aluminum clading is not maintenance free- its' considered low maintenance. It fades unless you use car wax to maintain the color.

Aluminum condensates in the cold so it should not be placed directly over the wood or the wood will absorb the moisture and decay.

Fiberglass clad is the better alternative if it is directly against the wood as it does not condensate.

You will get a fair amount of education here, some bias, some opionated and some passionate.

Geckerd

#11 Post by Geckerd »

Of the three manufacturers you mentioned, I recommend Marvin - high quality, attention to detail. But, installation is key with any window so I would make sure the installer is qualified.

TheWindowNerd

#12 Post by TheWindowNerd »

[quote="JScott"]Pella does not use extruded aluminum on there sashes. Andersen uses a vinyl paint on there sashes.

Not all Andersen sash are paint on wood exteriors. Some are vinyl clad like the 400 casement, some are composite like the 400 Woodwright or A series.

fredg205

#13 Post by fredg205 »

I built a large home in upstate NY in 97-98. Several windows were showing signs of leakage and discoloration within 10 yrs but I thought it was poor caulking. Marvin never mentioned the possible problem when I called them and they sent a rep out to replace one window and charged me a discounted price for it. 2 yrs later all the staining has come back on new replacement wood. I looked more closely at bottom (window seal area which was traditionally caulking). I found that it was not tight against the glass in fact loose. It would certainly allow water inside where the seal should be. the vertical strip actually pulls out some at the base so it definitely is not working as a seal. Another call to Marvin and they claim there is no warranty and they are not taking responsibiity. A check of my other windows shows deterioration of the "caulking seal" on windows exposed to weather. My windows underneath overhangs that are not exposed are very tightso the difference is stunning. I do not recommend Marvin. I never heard about any lawsuit or settlement and will pursue this until they make good and replace my windows. I think it speaks to ethics of company. Why would anyone buy new products from them?

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

Please keep us posted and if you have some pictures that would be great.

Whom have you spoken to at Marvin? I am sure there might be someone that we can help you get in touch with.

fredg205

#15 Post by fredg205 »

Just the first level person who answers these type of calls at a nearby office. If you have the right name to call that would be very helpful. thanks.I will upload some pics tomorrow. Fred