installation issues.

For those self-installers
pmaru77

installation issues.

#1 Post by pmaru77 »

Regarding installation of the basic replacement window.....the one with the lip frame of approx 1 3/4 inches all around. My problem is that I have wood trim around the exsting window that will not allow the full use of the 1 3/4 lip for sealing. The trim is flush with the alum frame ..on top and bottom, but the wood is proud by about an inch on either side. I've seen some installers trim off the sides of the new window trim and leave the top and bottom as is. It looks like crap! And that is what the sales guy kinda suggested. My plan is to cut off 3/4 of the new window trim all around ...and that leaves a 1 inch trim for sealing all around. The alum frame flat surface to seal on is about 3/4 of an inch all around. So doing the math, 1/4 inch clearance on the window fitting inside the frame....and 3/4 alum to vinyl sealing adds up to the 1 inch trim. (trim = the sealing frame on the new window). Is this kosher? There is a drip flange bending outward on the top of the alum frame and also on the bottom...but the window would fit between these two....unless there is a tolerance problem.

eberlovitz

#2 Post by eberlovitz »

Im not sure where your located or what you are talking about but if your refering to a vinyl nail finn on the exterior of the window and your not installing the window as a new constructiuon than your using the wrong window plus there are issues of thermal break when putting a window inside of any metel frame unit.