Experts please rate the best option for my situation

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
bhswrestler150

Experts please rate the best option for my situation

#1 Post by bhswrestler150 »

Im a first time home owner in desperate need to replace 18 DH and 2 4ft picture origional 1964 single pane wood windows. I Live in CT and have had a a few quotes ranging from 7k to 22k and starting to get a bit confused. I appreciate the help of all the experts on this site and would kindly ask your expertise on my situation.

I had Tri-State Home Improvemnt of Branford come out selling EnviroView Windows including low-e and argon Hated this company. Widow itself appeared to be the best of the bunch but he started off with a quote of 22,000 and after calling in his manager, and checkin if there was any money left over it magicly dropped to 15k

US Windows and Siding Wholesalers LLC, came out with thier Insul-Tek 1500 w/ low-e and argon window that also appeared to be very good, more honest salesman but still had good for a year price of 10,495 or the have to lock in today wholesale price that was much lower he wouldnt give me because I told him I wasnt going to sign today

A freinds CoWorkers Husbands Company said he will install Ellison 1500 series w/ low-e and argon for 170 p/DH window and about 100 per window install including wraping with aluminum the exposed wood. He also offered to knock down the price on the install if I help with cleanup and calking

LA Bannaby came out today and will install either Silverline 8500 low-e w/ argon or Alslide Excaliber w/ low-e and Argon. This company did my fathers roof and windows a few years back. They have been around for 30+ years and I are VERY reputable and have great installers.
The Silverlines would be 307 and the Alsides 343 installed both including wrapping the outside exposed wood. my quote for the allsides was 7070.00

I am also playing with the idea of going to my local wholesaler ABC and buying something better like the Simonton 5500 or something similar.........

my budget was about 8 to 10k being absolute max for my 18 DH and 2 4ft picture installed with outside exposed wood wrapped. I plan on living in this house for a VERY long time but my budget is my budget. Sorry this was so long but i wanted to make sure I gave all the details

Windows on Washington

Re: Experts please rate the best option for my situation

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Couple of things. I wouldn't do business with a company that dropped 7K (roughly 35%) off of a job. The windows in Quotes 2 and 3 are unfamiliar to me as it appears they are private labeled. If you can get some more information on them, the board can give you more feedback.

The last quote is tricky. The Silverline brand is widely regarded as bunk, however, the 8500 is their best window and not a terrible window. It is better than the Excalibur in my estimation. Your father has done business with the company before and like them.

I would get more information on the other two windows and post that up. As it stands, I am leaning towards quote 4 with the Silverlines......did I just type that? :shock:

anon

#3 Post by anon »

I see that his home is pre-1978. I have told and have not yet verified because My house is not in question but as of 4/22/10 he will be subjected to the new mold remediation act where a window installer must receives a certificate saying his home passed inspection before they can work on his home. Is this information correct? If it is it will be a can of worms if his house fails.

anon

#4 Post by anon »

* I meant to say have been told.
Also I have a little advice from a window newbie who has done at least 30 hours of research in the last three days.

Your bids seem to be all over the place because everyone specs something different out. You need to read the material in the education center on this site. You have to decide what your needs are and spec out for the vendor what you want. Until you have specs you will not be able to compare apples to apples. Beware because just because the price is high does not mean it is a quality product. If you are spending this kind of money you definitely want to get it right. You also need to look at warranties. If a window has a lifetime warranty it says something about the product. You want the warranty to come from the manufacture because you don't know if the contractor's business will close. One other thing, I have learned that just because the product has an energy star label does NOT mean it qualifies for the tax credit. Some vendors do not tell you because they are not the ones that the money comes from. My personal feelings on this is that the tax credit will allow you to to upgrade to a higher quality unit. I also would make sure you listen to these guys about the installers and make sure they are AMA certified. If you spend a million dollars building a house on a bad foundation you are gonna lose the million you spent...pointless!

Also, you need to look at your investment this way: Say you spend your budget of $10,000.00 at the end of 2010 you receive TC -1500.00 =9k lets just say your energy costs average $200 per month you most likely IF you buy a premium quality product will save up to 40% (Reliant Energy numbers) so that will be saving $80 per month which is $960 per year. In about 9 years the investment will have paid for itself and after that you can start putting an extra grand in the bank for savings!

bhswrestler150

#5 Post by bhswrestler150 »

thank you all for your quick responces. I visted my local wholesaler today that carries Ellison 1500 (atrium) Simonton 5500 and 5050 series and Certainteed Bryn Mawr III windows (best looking imo). The interesting thing I learned is the guy that ownes the wholesalers is related to the local installer who did work for my dad. If all goes well This company can give me a quote to install on of the above mentions windows.

The wholesaler recomended Simonton, I liked the look if the Certainteed the best, and the Ellisons seem to be the best price. Out of the 3 what would you guys pick ? I know alot depens on the situation but to give a few more factors, I dont have or plan on getting central air, i keep my heat VERY low at 62, and plan on getting a wood burning insert to my exsisting fireplace to heat my very open floorplan. I also sit on top of a hill so I do get some pretty strong winds as well

Also definatly plan on getting double pane, low-e, with argon

thank again. people like you make this a much less painfull experience

TLHWINDOWS

#6 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

Personally, out of the 3, I'd get the Simonton 5500. I wouldn't step into a lower Simonton.