Gilkey Vinyl replacement

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
big_c

Gilkey Vinyl replacement

#1 Post by big_c »

Im in Cincinnati where Gilkey has a large presence. I've gotten quotes on replacing 18 windows (mostly 32x61) from Gilkey, Lowes (i know the reliabilt isnt hte best quality), Champion, and Schuco is coming next week. I can see the construction quality of the Gilkey is much stronger than the champion or reliabilt. I'm curious about the Schuco but we'll see next week. I'm wondering what kind of expeience other people have had with Gilkey windows. The average quote I've gotten is about $7500. this sound fair for their Premium Frame and their System 4 double pane glass?

searspro

#2 Post by searspro »

hope your sitting down when the shucco dude lays it on ya'. i haven't even seen a shucco window, but they are expensive. Some say unreasonably high. A good quality window that size should run between $600-$800. Anything less than that, beware of the quality and the installation. Anything more than that, in my opinion, is a waste of your money. Even the most expensive windows "suck" (air) if not installed properly! Make sure your getting a reputable installer. Request to see his work on a previous install. Talk to the customer, are they happy with the overall package that was sold to them? Remember, your not just buying windows, your improving your home, and hopefully your energy bill. Quality is never cheap. If you drive alot and need dependable, long lasting transportation. Price isn't the main issue, but it is an issue, none the less. E-mail me if your interested in what Sears has to offer. Good luck!

HipKat

#3 Post by HipKat »

Shuco vs Sears?? Sort've reminds me of the Pacers vs any high school team....

searspro

#4 Post by searspro »

I can't say anything bad about shucco, except that they're overpriced, from what I hear. So maybe Hipcat can enlighten me to the justifiable reason for the outrageous price they charge for their windows. How many years of energy savings would it take to make up the difference? I mean, how much energy could they possibly save you, per window, each year in comparison to the Sears window? I would say very very little. So they must clean themselves and double as an alternative fuel supply for your car, or something extraordinary. By the way, the Pacers could whip the crap out of any high school team around, but that's about it.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#5 Post by Window4U (IL) »

searspro wrote:hope your sitting down when the shucco dude lays it on ya'. i haven't even seen a shucco window, but they are expensive. Some say unreasonably high. A good quality window that size should run between $600-$800.
SCHUCO IS NOT OVERLEY EXPENSIVE. Prices for Schuco vary from dealer to dealer. We dealers are NOT connected.
My prices for Schuco in Illinois are routinely considerably lower than Sears, Home Depot, Gilkey, Renewal by Anderen, Champion, or a host of other windows.
Please don't generalize about dealers pricing when you are talking about independant contractors with no link to each other except for a certain window brand they sell. I'm sure you wouldn't do that for all roofers in America who sell the same brand of shingles would you?

searspro

#6 Post by searspro »

Window4u, I apologize for the generalization. I was basing my thoughts on some strands from this forum. In particular, the one that had shucco at nearly double the money of several other companies. I do understand about independent contractors and their ability to jack prices. Sears pricing comes from Sears Home Improvement, I assumed Shucco did the same, sorry.

Window4U (IL)

#7 Post by Window4U (IL) »

No problem Searspro.... I just wanted everyone to be aware of the difference. Like you said, some companies prices are set by the factory or corporate offices when the factory or a large corporation owns the dealerships. Schuco is not this type of a structure.
We as independant businessmen set our own prices.

HipKat

#8 Post by HipKat »

searspro wrote:I can't say anything bad about shucco, except that they're overpriced, from what I hear. So maybe Hipcat can enlighten me to the justifiable reason for the outrageous price they charge for their windows. How many years of energy savings would it take to make up the difference? I mean, how much energy could they possibly save you, per window, each year in comparison to the Sears window? I would say very very little. So they must clean themselves and double as an alternative fuel supply for your car, or something extraordinary. By the way, the Pacers could whip the crap out of any high school team around, but that's about it.
We offer a 50% fuel consupmtion savings.
Think about what we must actually get to be able to claim 50%, which, btw, we've never paid on.
How many years of savings to break even?? Depends on the sale, # of windows, etc.....

BTW, it's SHÃœCO.
Probably a good idea, in the future if you do some research before you try to tear apart a window you've never even seen.

searspro

#9 Post by searspro »

If I were going to tear apart a window, I would do some research. I merely think the prices I've seen on here for shuco windows are high and I still can't see the justification. Your saying that if I removed my Sears windows, installed shuco's, I would save 50% on my energy bill? Probably not!

HipKat

#10 Post by HipKat »

You'd save at leat 50% of your fuel consumption. We can't control the price because it goes up every year. We put it in writing and we've never paid on it.
Now think about it. The largest manufacturer of windows in the world, who lead the field in technology advancements probably have pretty good lawyers, huh? And they have lawyers?? What do you think our windows would have to do for them to allow us to make such a claim??

What is the r-value of the finest Sears window?? I'm going to bet it isn't an R-10, like mine is. Now realistically, I have seen some crazy quotes for windows on here, too.
Those are idiots who offer inflated prices so they can magically take off 30% with a phone call.
Let me tell you what I do.
IF you're the kind've guy who looks like you're not so financially solid right now, my first offer reflects the largest savings I can give you.
IF you're an arrogant ass, I'm going to hit you with the full list price.
I saw the post where a 27,000.00 estimate suddenly dropped to I think 15,000.00 with a phone call. That was a naive sales rep, trying to pad his numbers early, then giving in because he heard no and paniced.
My question to him is, if you can still make money on 15,000.00, what the hell were you doing at 27,000.00??

The difference between Sears and Shuco is the difference between a fish sandwich at McD's where they happen to have fish or dinner at Red Lobster where they specialize in it....

Window4U (IL)

#11 Post by Window4U (IL) »

HipKat wrote:
searspro wrote:I can't say anything bad about shucco, except that they're overpriced, from what I hear. So maybe Hipcat can enlighten me to the justifiable reason for the outrageous price they charge for their windows. How many years of energy savings would it take to make up the difference? I mean, how much energy could they possibly save you, per window, each year in comparison to the Sears window? I would say very very little. So they must clean themselves and double as an alternative fuel supply for your car, or something extraordinary. By the way, the Pacers could whip the crap out of any high school team around, but that's about it.

BTW, it's SHÃœCO.
Probably a good idea, in the future if you do some research before you try to tear apart a window you've never even seen.

Actually, it's SCHUCO, not Shuco.

http://www.schuco-usa.com