Newbie question, searched for info but could not find

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
friedldj

Newbie question, searched for info but could not find

#1 Post by friedldj »

New to this forum and to Vinyl windows in general - be nice......

Have taken the time to do some research - here, and elsewhere and could not find much on American Weather Seal's Evershield windows. Had a 'sales' presentation and was provided a sales brochure, overall was happy with the process. My father also had these windows put on his home just recently and he is quite happy with them as well as the install process. Thought I would ask here, the knowledgable folks in the industry, what your thoughts are on these windows. Having read the forums - it appears that there could be some helpful information.

I have 29 windows to replace, located in Northern Va.....

Here is an excerpt from the sales brochure -

- Low E Glass with Argon
- Double Coating (11 layers) of otically tuned Low E with Argon gas and EverWarm spacer
- UV Ban Glass blocking 99% of harmful UV Rays

Curious as to any and all opinions and/or info that you folks can provide.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

#2 Post by Bill »

“otically tuned Low E with Argon gasâ€

eberry

#3 Post by eberry »

I think what they want you to assume is that “optically tuned Low Eâ€

friedldj

#4 Post by friedldj »

Interesting comments - thank you......I did call back to the company that I have been speaking to - they did identify that the 'glass package' that they get from American Weather Seal is unique - ie Evershield. They also identified to me that the U factor for the windows was .27 for the glass and .29 for the entire window. If I utilize the information discussed on this board and elsewhere, it would appear that this is a good thing I did explain that I was researching the windows on NFRC and that I could not find an exact match to the model and make to the window they were referencing - had it explained that the galss package would make a difference with re. these numbers.

I must say that I wish this process was more standardized so that the un-informed like myself could easily make 'apples to apples' type comparisons and make educated decisions. Based on the numbers that they are giving me, it appears that these are quality windows....??

Bill

#5 Post by Bill »

He spelled it otically tuned in his post; I should have picked up on what he meant.

In any case the NFRC numbers do not lie and it's the best place to do comparisons when new inventive technical terms are used but unfortunately your comparisons can not end with NFRC or Energy Star compliance.

Bill
Uneeda Window

friedldj

#6 Post by friedldj »

Sorry for the typo - it was supposed to be Optically - don't use that word very often and actually sometimes have a hard time pronouncing it. I agree with the research not ending with NFRC or Energy Star - hence why I was psyched when I found this board. Goal was to get a perspective of those that do this everyday. Thanks for the info though, any additional thoughts or opinions on AWS and/or Evershield Windows is appreciated.

Thanks again.

thd50

Re: Newbie question, searched for info but could not find

#7 Post by thd50 »

friedldj wrote:New to this forum and to Vinyl windows in general - be nice......

Have taken the time to do some research - here, and elsewhere and could not find much on American Weather Seal's Evershield windows. Had a 'sales' presentation and was provided a sales brochure, overall was happy with the process. My father also had these windows put on his home just recently and he is quite happy with them as well as the install process. Thought I would ask here, the knowledgable folks in the industry, what your thoughts are on these windows. Having read the forums - it appears that there could be some helpful information.

I have 29 windows to replace, located in Northern Va.....

Here is an excerpt from the sales brochure -

- Low E Glass with Argon
- Double Coating (11 layers) of otically tuned Low E with Argon gas and EverWarm spacer
- UV Ban Glass blocking 99% of harmful UV Rays

Curious as to any and all opinions and/or info that you folks can provide.

Thanks in advance.
READ THE WARRANTY THOUROUGHLY - after all it is an amortization of the life of the product --

ALSO LOOK FOR AAMA Ratings -American Archetectural Manuacturing Association - ratings are for: structural integrity, security, air/water infiltration, etc. - go for the GOLD PLUS rated window unless you want problems in the future or risk having to do the project again in the future.
PS> ook at the balance system and the warranty on it - if adjustment of lubrication is required (or the manufacurer voids the entire windwo warranty - a "way out" for the manufacturer. Get a constant force balance 3/4" to have trouble free operation on the double hung window

Also on DH Windows - BE CERTAIN that the pegs that hoold the window in (and allow the drop down feature for ease of cleaning) are SOLID - NOT HOLLOW! - otherwise they will get chewed up over time.

Are you doing this projet yoruself or having someone do it for you?
AS what happens on a project with one family member - the same may not be true for the other even with the same company installing.

THE VLT (visble light transmission) would be what you are looking at with UV ray penetration - the lower the # the better - however when you get to low you will be unable to see out the window after the sun sets...

good luck on your project!
Ck