REPLACEMENT WINDOWS FOR DAYTON, OH

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
anniemoos

REPLACEMENT WINDOWS FOR DAYTON, OH

#1 Post by anniemoos »

I live in Ohio where temps can fluxuate from 20 to 60 within a week. I made the mistake of replacing my original 1940 wood windows with a vinyl double hung window from Castle Windows and now after 5 years the seals are all breaking. Company is no longer in business so I can either replace the glass kit or whole window. What is a good mid-priced replacement double hung window. Someone suggested Simonton, Certainteed BM (what is Swiggle), Alsides & Sheffield. Would prefer not to go with wood because of the maintenance. Do you recommend vinyl or aluminum and which brands? If vinyl, other than u-value, r-factor, low-e and argon gas what other considerations should I be looking at (i.e. type of joints, locking mechanisms, etc.). Will also need to replace aluminum sliding patio door, would the window considerations apply to sliding patio door also?

randy

Re: REPLACEMENT WINDOWS FOR DAYTON, OH

#2 Post by randy »

Simonton makes a good window. Soft-lite makes some of the best vinyl windows in the industry, and they are based in Ohio. Alside is not highly regarded by the pros here, but Okna, Gorell, and Great Lakes would be some other possibilities.

Air Leakage rating is a good indicator of the care and precision with which the window is both designed and constructed. While not everyone here agrees, I think that the AL rating is an undervalued rating.