Windows in St. Peters, MO

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
movtx

Windows in St. Peters, MO

#1 Post by movtx »

I'm wanting to replace six windows. 3 in the bedrooms, 1 small one in the kitchen and 2 windows next to each other in the livingroom.

First company that gave me the following estimate wanted $179.76 per window that will be installed in the bedrooms. $148.26 for the small window in the kitchen and $417.51 for the twin window in livingroom. I would then be charged $250.00 to install each window in the bedrooms and kitchen and $500.00 for the twin window in the livingroom.

$1105.05(windows) + tax & delivery = $1226.08 + $1500 (installation) = $2726.08

The windows he wanted to install were the Silverlines 8500 series.

The second company that gave me an estimate would be installing the Sienna 4600 Series (Double Hung) by MGM Industries out of Hendersonville, TN. His prices were $374.00 per window in the bedrooms and kitchen and $773.00 in the livingroom. These prices are installed and all old windows taken away.

Total price for these windows with some of them including grills is $2315.00

Lifetime warranty on the windows and installation.

What do you all think?

TLHWINDOWS

Re: Windows in St. Peters, MO

#2 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

I don't know who MGM is so I have no opinion.

Seems that the SilverLine guy is selling you the windows, pretty close to cost and then making it up with install. If the installer can install the 8500 right it will be an ok window, but check the numbers on them because you have to have LowE3 and foam frames for them to meet the tax credit, and that is pretty expensive (the last I checked).

Again. I know nothing about the MGM product.

movtx

#3 Post by movtx »

Thanks, the difference in installation cost is $100.00 per window. Seems like the installation cost for the Silverlines is pretty high, though this is the 1st. time I've priced windows.

Thanks again.

win1

#4 Post by win1 »

I would locate a Soft-Lite Dealer in your area if you really want a good window. The have top of the line models plus midgrade and economical choices. Go to www.Soft-Lite.com

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

win1 wrote:I would locate a Soft-Lite Dealer in your area if you really want a good window. The have top of the line models plus midgrade and economical choices. Go to http://www.Soft-Lite.com
While I don't disagree with your recommendation, what is your basis of this statement?

Typically a poster builds some sort of authoritative background before they promote one brand.

You will not see a board pro on this board spam for one brand so please refrain as well.
Last edited by Windows on Washington on Mon May 03, 2010 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

TLHWINDOWS

#6 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

movtx wrote:Thanks, the difference in installation cost is $100.00 per window. Seems like the installation cost for the Silverlines is pretty high, though this is the 1st. time I've priced windows.

Thanks again.

If you want my honest opnion, on price, I wouldn't pay $450 a window for a SilverLine 8500 window. I would look around a little more. You should have a decent selection of windows in MO.

win1

#7 Post by win1 »

MY Criteria:
Have you seen the air infiltration numbers on the Soft-Lite Windows? The air infiltration number on the Elements is .01 CFM. That is the best that I have seen. The DP rating is very good also. The Bainbridge and Barrington also have decent numbers at a lower price point. They also have aome excellent U Values and you can custom your insulated glass packages. There are other good windows as well as have been mentioned. My criteria for liking Soft-Lite is mainly the Air Infiltration number. You can have the best glass package in the world but if your wiondow is still drafty what is the point. Does any one know the air infiltration number on a SilverLine window? That would be a good comparison for the consumer if they are trying to make a wise choice. I simply stated the consumer may want to look at a Soft-Lite window and compare. It may not be the right choice for "Windows in St. Peters" but worth looking into.

Skydawggy

#8 Post by Skydawggy »

Why would you say it is better than the Okna Starmark?

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

win1 wrote:MY Criteria:
Have you seen the air infiltration numbers on the Soft-Lite Windows? The air infiltration number on the Elements is .01 CFM. That is the best that I have seen. The DP rating is very good also. The Bainbridge and Barrington also have decent numbers at a lower price point. They also have aome excellent U Values and you can custom your insulated glass packages. There are other good windows as well as have been mentioned. My criteria for liking Soft-Lite is mainly the Air Infiltration number. You can have the best glass package in the world but if your wiondow is still drafty what is the point. Does any one know the air infiltration number on a SilverLine window? That would be a good comparison for the consumer if they are trying to make a wise choice. I simply stated the consumer may want to look at a Soft-Lite window and compare. It may not be the right choice for "Windows in St. Peters" but worth looking into.
I am quite familiar with all of the performance numbers on the Soft-Lite as I sell them. That being said, I don't recommend just one window in a thread. Most of the other posters in here will make several recommendations to cover all the bases for a consumer.

There are several windows that have the same performance data as the Soft-Lite window. If you are going to recommend a window based on that set of facts alone (performance data) you technically should mention the other brands as well.

win1

#10 Post by win1 »

If you really like one window over the other why woudn't you recommend the one you feel is the best. You may recommend more than one window and you may also carry/install those other brands as well or at least a couple of them. I don't understand why you thinks it is spam. I also Like the Integrta window by Provia. It does not have the performance numbers that Soft-Lite has but still a nice window for the price.

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

It was your first post and it was very brand specific. If you are a poster reading this board, how does your post read to you? First post and you recommend one brand and follow it up with a web link. You will find that Soft-Lite is probably the most recommended brand on this and its sister board. You will also find that most poster will throw that name out there with a few others so as not to appear like a brand homer.

Most board posters will recommend that customers get multiple quotes. While they are well served by getting a Soft-Lite quote, perhaps you have more than just one suggestion.

Does that make sense?

win1

#12 Post by win1 »

OK, point well taken :D