Vinyl windows in Colorado

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jenjen

Vinyl windows in Colorado

#1 Post by jenjen »

Hello, looking to buy new vinyl windows to replace wood casements. I have gotten estimates from HD (6200 series), an independent contractor recommended Miramax, and another contractor said Amsco. Any advice on these companies? I prefer the casement for maximizing air flow in summer, especially because there is only one window per bedroom. But friends say to go with sliders because of the lower price. Also, should I try to find a window contractor, or is general contractor OK? We have dry rot issues that need fixing and also want to enlarge the family room window. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Skydawggy

Re: Vinyl windows in Colorado

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

Not familiar enough with those 2 windows to offer an opinion. I would avoid sliders because they have the highest air infiltration of any type of window. By contrast, casements have the lowest AI of any operable window. Any good window company should be able to handle a cut-out into a framed wall as long as it isn't load bearing.

jenjen

#3 Post by jenjen »

Thanks Skydawggy, I will stick with the casements.

markf57

#4 Post by markf57 »

I posted a reply in this thread and now it is gone. Did I do something wrong?

Skydawggy

#5 Post by Skydawggy »

Sometimes, posts that say the same thing as one before it are deleted. I'm sure it has something to do with bandwidth and not that you necessarily violated any rules.

Of course it could just be they don't like you. :lol: JK

jenjen

#6 Post by jenjen »

Hi Mark, I saw your reply but when I went back later it was gone. Do you mind replying again? I can't remember the company name you had posted. Thank you for your help!

Door&WindowPlus

#7 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

jenjen wrote:Hello, looking to buy new vinyl windows to replace wood casements. I have gotten estimates from HD (6200 series), an independent contractor recommended Miramax, and another contractor said Amsco. Any advice on these companies? I prefer the casement for maximizing air flow in summer, especially because there is only one window per bedroom. But friends say to go with sliders because of the lower price. Also, should I try to find a window contractor, or is general contractor OK? We have dry rot issues that need fixing and also want to enlarge the family room window. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Is it Miramax or Amerimax? I sell Amerimax and they are a good manufacturer. I would also recommend Simonton. Amsco comes out of Utah and has no labor warranty from them. So make sure your installer gives a lifetime warrany on labor or you could be spending your own money on warranty work for labor.

markf57

#8 Post by markf57 »

Jen:

In response to your request, I posted the name of the company, but it was removed again. I guess I'm not allowed to post the company I used. I hope you were able to read it while it was posted.

jenjen

#9 Post by jenjen »

Hi markf57, I did get a chance to see the name, thank you very much for the information.