NEED INFO ON STARTING A WINDOW REPLACEMENT BUSINESS

A place to talk about the Window Industry
tonyc56

NEED INFO ON STARTING A WINDOW REPLACEMENT BUSINESS

#1 Post by tonyc56 »

Hi All,

Need some advice on starting a window replacement business.I'm thinking of becoming a dealer for Clear Choice Windows in Massachusetts...Is this a good time to start this type of business in this economic environment...I have no experience installing or selling windows and was wondering can it be learned fairly quickly or do i have to be a carpenter. Clear Choice advertises windows for only $185.00 realistically is that price good enough to stay in business in relative high cost of living in Massachusetts. Any info provided would be appreciated.

Delaware Mike

Re: NEED INFO ON STARTING A WINDOW REPLACEMENT BUSINESS

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

To be real honest. You should have a hands on carpentry background plus a ton of sales experience. Otherwise, you will make more money greeting folks at Walmarts. So much can go wrong not knowing the construction industry. Managing installations alone and keeping good installers is a career in itself. I could make a ton more money and be so much more rested and healthier if I went back to personal fitness training, but I love what I do in this industry. What would I do without an 80 hour work week?

You should also work for a real good established home exterior company for several years to gauge as to if you would even like this industry.

HomeSealed

Re: NEED INFO ON STARTING A WINDOW REPLACEMENT BUSINESS

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Anything CAN be done, the question of whether or not it's a good idea is another issue. DM makes some very valid points... This is a VERY cut-throat industry and you either need to know it inside and out, or hire someone that you can trust who does. Personally, looking at it purely from a business/investment point of view, there are certainly other easier and more profitable opportunities out there.