Certainteed Bryn Mawr II vs. Sunrise Horizon Ultra-U+

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
NJHomeowner

Certainteed Bryn Mawr II vs. Sunrise Horizon Ultra-U+

#1 Post by NJHomeowner »

Any opinions on these two windows (looking at doublehung mostly).

And how important is it for the sash to be foam filled?

windowmannjny

#2 Post by windowmannjny »

there are better windows to put in your home than the 2 you mentioned. as for foam in the sash, mostly a sales tactic not much for insulation. where do you live in NJ?

NJHomeowner

#3 Post by NJHomeowner »

I live in Bergen County

Bill

#4 Post by Bill »

Foam filling does very little or nothing to Improve the overall insulating ability of a vinyl window.

Just look at the U-Value when comparing hollow multi chambered vinyl windows to foam filled you will see no difference when the glass systems are equal.

Bill
Uneeda Window of N.J.

The U Factor

#5 Post by The U Factor »

Have you considered Schuco?? If efficient windows are your primary concern they are worth a look.

windowmannjny

#6 Post by windowmannjny »

i have done work in bergen using a couple of different windows, gentek, gorell, and focus point. to tell the truth it matters what you are looking for in the job, each one has a different function. Shuco is a good window but in my opinion not worth the money. any of the windows that i use have always been good for my homeowners budget and energy bills/ you may want to check with these brands

The U Factor

#7 Post by The U Factor »

good point windowman,

so nj homeowner what matters to you most??

NJHomeowner

#8 Post by NJHomeowner »

Good overall value (balancing moderate budget, energy efficiency, etc.) - this is to replace all the windows in my house.

I'm sure there are plenty of products out there that can be debated. These are the 2 that I'm considering - products suggested by 2 contractors who were recommended by friends.

So I'm looking for opinions on these 2 windows - pros, cons, good/bad experiences.

Thanks.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#9 Post by Window4U (IL) »

windowmannjny wrote: Shuco is a good window but in my opinion not worth the money.
I just love how Schuco always gets stereotyped that it is soooo expensive.

I am very rarely even close to being the highest priced on the Schuco quotes I give, even when my competition is only offering midgrade double pane windows and I am including triple w/krypton. For example, to the best of my knowledge, I have never been higher than Champion or Home Depot on a quote.

Each individual Schuco dealer sets his own price. There is no standardized pricing for dealers as the cost of overhead and also profit margins can be dramatically different from one dealer to the next.

To all you homeowners.....find out for yourself what Schuco windows cost. Pricing you hear quoted on this board may not even be close to what you get quoted from your local dealer.

The U Factor

#10 Post by The U Factor »

Window4U (IL) wrote:
windowmannjny wrote: Shuco is a good window but in my opinion not worth the money.
I just love how Schuco always gets stereotyped that it is soooo expensive.

I am very rarely even close to being the highest priced on the Schuco quotes I give, even when my competition is only offering midgrade double pane windows and I am including triple w/krypton. For example, to the best of my knowledge, I have never been higher than Champion or Home Depot on a quote.

Each individual Schuco dealer sets his own price. There is no standardized pricing for dealers as the cost of overhead and also profit margins can be dramatically different from one dealer to the next.

To all you homeowners.....find out for yourself what Schuco windows cost. Pricing you hear quoted on this board may not even be close to what you get quoted from your local dealer.
good call window4u, I think some of these overpriced Schuco guys cost the rest some business with there overpricing and tactics. Who is in new jersey for Schuco?

windowmannjny

#11 Post by windowmannjny »

window4u and the u factor...i live probably within 10 miles from where Njhomeowner lives and i have done many many...many jobs in his area. unfortunetly in our area there is only 1 shuco dealer, possibly a second that comes out of NY, but i dont and never heard of them doing work in NJ so when i mentioned that shuco was expensive i was speaking from experience being that they wanted me to be a salesman for them, and i know a few people that work there. its a shame but the contractors in north jersey give their work away and generally do a crappy job and give sub-par windows as there are many little "factories" in my area that is what i was making my statement from. as you see by my screenname i do work in both nj and ny and if i can be honest north jersey, for whatever reason, homeowners always say that they are looking for a good quality product at a reasonable price but when i offer it to them a large majority of them go for the cheapest they can find i dont understand why north jersey is like that but it is, when i do work in ny or sometimes PA the consumer is very different sorry if i rambled a little as i am trying to rush out the dorr. please feel free to ask any questions you like. back to you NJhomeowner in my opinion i wouldnt use either of them ithink certainteed is too bulky and sunrise i never used so i have no real opinion sorry

The U Factor

#12 Post by The U Factor »

interesting stuff, what kind of windows do you offer windowman, who did you end up working for?

windowmannjny

#13 Post by windowmannjny »

i usually install gorell or gentek, i like the look of these the most. i have worked with simonton as well, as i have always said your window is only as good as the installer. to many consumers look at the product to much and not who is actually doing the work. homeowners sometimes tell me that they want to do their own research which i respect, unfortunatly they most often dont look into the actual installer which with most companies is hard to do. as far as who ive done work for its too long a list to mention, people with million dollar homes and people without. as long as mycustomer is pleased with my work, i am a happy windowman

HipKat

#14 Post by HipKat »

I usually tell people to pick the window they want, but the real shopping is for the installer. That's where the biggest concern should be.

windowmannjny

#15 Post by windowmannjny »

welcome to the forum, Bill from Uneeda, u-factor and myself all take this business pretty seriously as we dont want the users of this board or our customers to get ripped off. if there is anything i can do to help you with your search, let me know. im in North Jersey as well, just ask