Painting vinyl windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
makoti

Painting vinyl windows

#1 Post by makoti »

Hello to all -

I am thinking about getting a vinyl window (Okna) and possibly paying to have it custom painted for teh exterior. Can anyone tell me if the process is one that will then require continued upkeep (like my old wood windows do), or will they remain pretty much maintenance free? Anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks!

TheWindowNerd

Re: Painting vinyl windows

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The warranty is ten years on the paint, the vinyl unlike wood will not rot.

pilot

#3 Post by pilot »

Painted PVC is fine so long as cure times are adequate before handling. They are pretty easy to touch up when/if scratched as well. Looks better than white too.

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

What color are you thinking of getting for your exterior?

makoti

#5 Post by makoti »

Thanks for the replies. I am thinking I want to match the color of my exterior, which is a shade of yellow. I don't want to do it if it means that I am looking at painting upkeep. That's one of the things I really want out of new windows - less upkeep. Ladders & me - not a great combination. :wink:

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

The lighter shades should hold up better to fading and the paints are very durable.I have not seen any that have been installed only floor samples.Have you priced these out yet?I believe it runs an extra $150 or so per window.

JScott

#7 Post by JScott »

I know this is a vinyl site; however, I must interject that you should look at fiberglass. The cost of painting a vinyl product puts you at fiberglass pricing in my region. Makes it a no-brainer.

Skydawggy

#8 Post by Skydawggy »

If you have any painting done other than what's done at the factory, you will void your warranty. Using paint on vinyl windows can cause the vinyl to become brittle and/or bow. I agree with JScott, if you absolutely must have a specific color, I'd look at fiberglass windows.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Skydawggy wrote:If you have any painting done other than what's done at the factory, you will void your warranty. Using paint on vinyl windows can cause the vinyl to become brittle and/or bow. I agree with JScott, if you absolutely must have a specific color, I'd look at fiberglass windows.
+1. Once you figure on the painted price, the price delta is almost non-existent and it is a no-brainer.

makoti

#10 Post by makoti »

The price difference in custom painting the windows was not that much. $90 or so/window. Plus, it would be done at the factory, so the I would think the warranty would be ok. But, yes, fiberglass is an option I am considering. Not a lot of color options there, though.

Skydawggy

#11 Post by Skydawggy »

makoti wrote:The price difference in custom painting the windows was not that much. $90 or so/window. Plus, it would be done at the factory, so the I would think the warranty would be ok. But, yes, fiberglass is an option I am considering. Not a lot of color options there, though.

First you said it was custom painted, now you are saying it's stock color. The advice you are given here is based on the information you provide. So, which is it custom or stock paint? Custom paint costs more.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

makoti wrote:The price difference in custom painting the windows was not that much. $90 or so/window. Plus, it would be done at the factory, so the I would think the warranty would be ok. But, yes, fiberglass is an option I am considering. Not a lot of color options there, though.
Painted finish on the fiberglass is more durable than the vinyl option as well.

makoti

#13 Post by makoti »

Skydawggy,

I was told $90 a window for custom paint done at the factory. I supply the color to match & they do it. So the story has not changed. Now, I may have gotten bad info, but that's what I was told.

jokawi

#14 Post by jokawi »

It sounds to me like makoti is talking about getting the windows painted from OKNA themselves. From OKNA's website:
OKNA Windows offers three exterior color selections in addition to the standard Euro-White option to give your home a distinct look and enhance its Curb appeal. You can also special order custom exterior colors from a virtually unlimited selection of paints. Our paints are environmentally safe and durable, giving your exterior a vibrant and long-lasting color finish.
Can you get fiberglass windows color matched from the factory? I ask because I'm in a similar situation where I would like to replace a few old wood windows, but I want to match my current exterior trim/windows, which is more of a cream color. Marvin's Integrity line doesn't really offer the color I'm looking for. So, it seems like my options are to go with painted vinyl, painted fiberglass, wood that's clad with a matching color (though I'm kind of trying to avoid wood), or to get something that doesn't exactly match my current windows and trim.

SuperiorW&D

#15 Post by SuperiorW&D »

We offer 2 different lines of vinyl windows available with a "thermally reflective paint" finish. !0 year warranty on the paint and you don't lose the lifetime warranty on the glass.

Generally speaking it adds about 60% to the cost of the windows. This is way less than fiberglass windows.

The good for fiberglass is that you can repaint with regular paint. Although we do offer touch up paint for maintaining your windows, repainting vinyl windows to another color is expensive and must be done with "thermally reflective paint".

We've done a lot of whole house packages of the painted vinyl windows over the years with no failures. We've offered Atrium Window's brown painted exterior on white interior (aprx 25-30% up charge) for over 12 years, again with no failures.