Fiberglass windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
wayside

Fiberglass windows

#1 Post by wayside »

OK, I know this is the "Vinyl Replacement Window" board, but I haven't found anyplace else that matches the number and level of expertise of the posters here, so here goes.

My wife and I went to the Boston Home Show last weekend to check out windows. There were probably 6 or 7 different companies there with various makes of vinyl windows, including NES and Schuco.

She didn't like the look of any of the vinyl window they had there, and I wasn't wow'ed by any of them either, although aesthetics aren't as important to me.

The clad wood windows looked ok, but they are out of our price range (I've gotten quotes from $800-1200/hole). Plus, I'd have to paint them.

So now I am looking seriously at fiberglass. (Well, I'd like to look at them - I haven't been able to find one to look at yet, just pictures). I can only find a handful of manufacturers that can do custom sizes, and little in the way of opinions on the windows and companies. I have 15 double-hungs and a picture window to replace.

Marvin Infinity: well liked by someone here
Milgard Ultra: very negative opinions here, not available in my area anyway
Comfortline by Fiberframe: ??
Inline: ??
Accurate Dorwin: ??

Has anybody installed/purchased any of these windows from any of the companies listed above, or have any opinions about the quality of the companies?

Thanks.

Mass. window guy

#2 Post by Mass. window guy »

We were in the home show this past weekend.
We don't offer fiberglass windows, but there are plenty of companies that will sell you the window and then you can install yourself. Simply go to Marvins website and do a distributor search. I know of one company in Newton "Affordable Windows".