Can I put Schuco windows in a new construction

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Triple P

Can I put Schuco windows in a new construction

#1 Post by Triple P »

I'm putting an addition on my house. Are Schuco replacement windows only or can they be used in new construction

WindDoze

#2 Post by WindDoze »

Sure, you just need to order the window with an exterior nailing fin.

Whether the dealer in your location will just sell the windows to you uninstalled and let your home builder put them in is another question. Some will do it, others may not.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Yes, they can be used in new construction.
They can be installed with an available add-on nailfin/jchannel combo provided by the factory, or if don't want your windows hanging so far out the wall, they can also be installed into a 1x wood buck frame with applied exterior casing, and then installed as you would a traditional wood window. If the latter is done, really make sure your contractor uses proper flashing methods.
Here is an example of one done with a buck frame. I cut new Schuco casement windows into a blank wall on each side of a fireplace, then bent my brickmold style casing wrap with the j-channel built right in. The window tape had not yet been installed in the first photo.

WindDoze

#4 Post by WindDoze »

Nice Pics! :D

Triple P

#5 Post by Triple P »

Thank you for the info Windoze and Windows4U. The pictures were really helpful. You did very nice work. Seeing an actual project helps to put my mind at ease. Which install method do you prefer?

The U Factor

#6 Post by The U Factor »

No nailing fin is the way to go, if it's done right. Good Luck Triple P

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#7 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I prefer doing it the way I did here with the buck jamb.
I set the vinyl window 1 1/4" from the inside of the buck jamb, the buck jamb being flush with the drywall. This allows me to install a stool, apron, 1 1/4" stops and window casing on the interior, ...and have it match the rest of the window trim in the home.
Doing it this way on a room addition or cut-in also allows you to match the exterior look to the rest of the windows on the house, making the room addition look like its always been there.
With using a factory fin with the j channel built in, the resulting exterior is much narrower and doesn't normally match the existing windows, plus the window hangs out further, which makes extension jambs necessary on the interior...again not normally matching the interior trim of the rest of the home.
There are fin treatments and integral vinyl brickmold available on some brands that are more realistic to matching a traditional exterior casing and sill, but not on most replacement windows. And even using those, you still need to use extension jambs inside.

pjwinstalls

#8 Post by pjwinstalls »

Window4u, you recommend using the buck jam when on new construction when it is an addition......how about with a totally new house? Do you still recommend the buck jam or the nailing fin? Does one cost more than the other for schuco to add?

Thanks

Philip