is this quote reasonable?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
delacroix

is this quote reasonable?

#1 Post by delacroix »

I got a quote of $17,000 for 19 Schuco triple paned krypton filled double hung windows. The sizes range from 28" X 45" (2) to 40" X 78" (3). I was very impressed with the product, but I feel like this is an awful lot to spend on windows. Any thoughts? I live in west central New Jersey.

delacroix

windowmannjny

#2 Post by windowmannjny »

short answer its alot to spend for those windows, i have done windows with triple pane krypton gas with a nicer interior and exterior profile and have given better pricing than that. let me know if i can help

delacroix

#3 Post by delacroix »

you can help. How do I go about that? My email is absurd1us@yahoo.com

delacroix

windowmannjny

#4 Post by windowmannjny »

i tried to E-mail but im not sure if it worked, feel free to e-mail me a
jbsb123@comcast.net

Triple P

Reasonable quote

#5 Post by Triple P »

I bought Schuco windows last winter for my entire house. My price tag was right around what you are considering. I too was nervous about spending such a large amount of money, but I could not be happier with my decision. My house is much more comfortable this winter. Like I said before, I was nervous at first, but the windows work as advertised. I couldn't be happier with them.

delacroix

reasonable quote

#6 Post by delacroix »

Thanks Triple P, how many different quotes did you get, and what brought you to this message board?

The U Factor

#7 Post by The U Factor »

from what I've experienced on and off this board that number seems reasonable for what you are looking at and where you are. You hear the stories about companies getting well over a grand for an average schuco DH window, if that were the case, that may be a reason for concern. Also it seems you have some windows that are larger than normal. I also took into account the cost of doing business in and around NYC too (new jersey). Bottom line is as long as you have good installers the windows are some of, if not, the best. Most of the experts on here seem to think so.

delacroix

installers

#8 Post by delacroix »

U-factor,

Once you're contracted for the windows, how can you be sure to get good installlers?

Triple P

#9 Post by Triple P »

I had four estimates lined up. The Schuco dealer was my second estimate. Never heard the last two.
To answer your second question, I was led to this board by a friend of a friend.

Bill

#10 Post by Bill »

Delacroix:

I makes sense to get references from the dealer and call the customer to see how the install went. Along with choosing a good quality window a proper installation is very important

Bill
Uneeda Window of N.J.

windowmannjny

#11 Post by windowmannjny »

i have to disagree with Bills last post (sorry Bill) although references may seem like a good idea, would anyone give you a bad reference i dont think so i think your best course would be to put a minimum deposit out of pocket and then pay upon your satisfaction with the work. that is how i do all my work with my customers the other thing that is important is trusting your gut, it may sound strange but it works you should be comfortabe with who you choose to do your work. anytime i can help anyone just ask.

Bill

#12 Post by Bill »

windowmannjny wrote:short answer its alot to spend for those windows, i have done windows with triple pane krypton gas with a nicer interior and exterior profile and have given better pricing than that. let me know if i can help
Windowman:

I’m curious which window with triple pane you have used that you feel has a more attractive appearance than Shuco?

We are both basically in the same area and selection of windows available in the tri state area is incredible. I have about ten window fabricators within 20 miles of my office none of which I would ever sell.

Bill
Uneeda Window of N.J.

windowmannjny

#13 Post by windowmannjny »

hi Bill, yes i know where you are located i am not to far away and i know that there are soooo many fabricators of the vinyls in our area and it makes it very tough for me to "sell" my jobs but never the less i actually like the gorell w/triple & krypton better than the "almighty on this website" shuco window, i also think that the company that sell shuco in my area gets a good dollar for them. i mean come on... Delacroix may spend $17,000. on 19 windows i think thats insane, with the money i can save him it will pay for my trip to Vegas(losings and all) just kidding but truthfully that is a lot of $$$.

The U Factor

Re: installers

#14 Post by The U Factor »

delacroix wrote:U-factor,

Once you're contracted for the windows, how can you be sure to get good installlers?
How long have they been in business? Are they subs or full time employees of the company? Does the company offer a warranty on installation? Check for complaints on the better business bureau website.

I agree that NO company will give out a bad referral that is a good point, but not many companies will last long if they do poor work and don't pay for good installers. (thus one reason for the short life span of many home improvement companies). The point about holding back money until the job is done is a good one too. Never pay in full until the work is done. But I think any decent company works this way.

Good Luck

cbrp

is this estimate too high

#15 Post by cbrp »

We received a quote of ~$31000 for 19 Schuco triple glazed windows - a range of standard sizes including one small casement, one slider, and 17 double hungs. Then we were offered the 'deal' of $23875 with the high pressure 'this price good only for tonight sale' for being a 'model home'. The clock is ticking on our 3 days. We like the windows better than others we've priced, but this seems way too expensive, and we wonder can we get the same windows from someone else. We are in Western NY and this company says they have an exclusive right to distribute.