PLEASE HELP ME CHOOSE IN NORTH JERSEY

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
jkrl

PLEASE HELP ME CHOOSE IN NORTH JERSEY

#1 Post by jkrl »

I had Windowrama come buy and give me an estimate. They recommended the United 800 @ $5,577.00 for the following:
32 x 37 3/4 - 7 windows
32 x 49 3/4 - 2 windows
36 x 37 3/4 - 3 windows
18 x 29 3/4 - 1 window
13 windows total

They also gave me a quote of $10,885 for the Pella Impervia & $9,431 for the Marvin Infinity.

After researching this forum, it appears that I don't want any of these windows. I'm thinking of going with Simonton or Gorrell. Any recommendations as far which window to go with, what price I can expect or recommending a local contractor would be greatly appreciated.

buddy110

Re: PLEASE HELP ME CHOOSE IN NORTH JERSEY

#2 Post by buddy110 »

13 Marvin Infinity for $9,431.00???? Assuming a proper install and 366 glass that's the deal of the century right there :!:

Gorell is good also

United is a low to mid grade window

jkrl

#3 Post by jkrl »

I would need to confirm the kind of glass but I have the installation quote in front of me. The quote was for the Uniteds but he also put down the price for the Pella Impervia (which he advised against the Pellas) and said if I'm going to spend that much, I should go with the Marvins.

Thanks for your response buddy110.

buddy110

#4 Post by buddy110 »

jkrl wrote:I would need to confirm the kind of glass but I have the installation quote in front of me. The quote was for the Uniteds but he also put down the price for the Pella Impervia (which he advised against the Pellas) and said if I'm going to spend that much, I should go with the Marvins.

Thanks for your response buddy110.
I would agree with him. The Marvin's are a much better choice than the Pella

jkrl

#5 Post by jkrl »

Ok, if I were to go with the Marvins. Exactly what questions should I ask? You mentioned 366 glass. Is there anything else that I need to confirm?

buddy110

#6 Post by buddy110 »

Just make sure the company is sound, and the install is properly done. Outsides capped, pockets filled with low expanding foam if the window size and sill angle allows that or a good bead of sealant is layed around the perimeter to stop air flow around the new window frame

jkrl

#7 Post by jkrl »

thanks again buddy110. it looks like i'm gonna go with windorama. all the reviews i've seen for them seem to be decent.

canuck

#8 Post by canuck »

i am speachless that they are coming in that cheap for a marvin infinity. as for United,its a low grade window.

canuck

#9 Post by canuck »

also,look at gorell or okna,both excellend windows and i believe both are available in your state.

ZAPAS

#10 Post by ZAPAS »

Apples to apples ???
United is vinyl window (Low grade)
Pella is Fiberglass composit (OK)
Marvin is also Fiberglass but is better looking and performing window than Pella.

Simonton is vinyl window with heavy (bulky) frames with avarage glass performance.
Okna has good performing glass but cheap, flimsy frames with insulation only install after windows are put together (No Good).

I would suggested American Jewel top line products (1700 or 3000 series).
Check them out. Great looking windows with good glass performance and strong frames.
AJ are windows with a lot of glass and very less vinyl.
And I believe, factory is in North Jersey.

But anyway choose right contractor. That is most important.

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

Simonton window is better than average. That is not giving that window enough credit.

Insulation in Okna frames if put in prior to welding. It is an inserted foam. "cheap, flimsy..." are strong words for a window line that is a DP50 and DP60. What is the DP on the American Jewel?

Recommending American Jewel?

jkrl

#12 Post by jkrl »

Thanks WoW.

Would you select the Marvin Infinity over Simonton or the other way around?

I believe I have narrowed it down to Marvin, Simonton or Gorell.
However, this is not set in stone and I would appreciate any input.

Thanks!

canuck

#13 Post by canuck »

wait a minute pal ! i just saw all of Okna's lines less than 2 weeks ago along with corner cuts.
every line they carry is a heavy/think guage pvc as well as a high grade vinyl. all their lines have DP ratings of at least 50,the 800 series has a DP rating of 60. these are probably the most structurally- solid windows i have seen in a long time. it seems obvious that you sell american jewel and for you to come on this board and make false claims is unprofessional. american jewel is a flimsy window and its obvious you are backed into a corner.
Gorell is a very good window and simonton is not a cheap window either,sop the nonsense,its getting old.

jkrl

#14 Post by jkrl »

Thanks canuck.

I completed the info online for okna to contact me with more info or an estimate. They never got back to me. I figured that they may not service north jersey.

canuck

#15 Post by canuck »

Okna definitely covers northern new jersey, i know they do new yor and mass as well. give them time,they should respond.