Masonry installation

For those self-installers
jschu121

Masonry installation

#1 Post by jschu121 »

I have a brick rowhouse with the original single-pane steel casements. The construction is brick on the outside, a 1" cavity, 4" masonry block, and then plaster, going outside to inside. I cut away the plaster around the window to get a better idea of things. The opening in the masonry block is about 4" larger in height and width than the brick opening. There is a sloped brick sill and the frame of the current steel window rests in the brick opening.

I'm going to replace with vinyl double hung windows (Simonton 5500). Question is, where should I mount the window? I think I have 2 options and would like opinions.

1. I can mount it so the window frame fits in the brick opening.

or

2. I can mount it slightly farther inward so the frame that houses the screen fits into the brick opening. I think in this case the window will be slightly larger.

Does anyone have experience with this and thoughts on the best way? Thanks as always.

TheWindowNerd

Re: Masonry installation

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Either can work.
How are you going to attach the windows?
What sill depth do you want?
Are you going to jamb out, sill , and casing?

jschu121

#3 Post by jschu121 »

I think the screw holes will best align with the masonry block in order to maintain proper setback from the outside face of the brick using either method. Because the masonry opening is so large I'm thinking of framing it out (tapcon into block) and then screwing into wood frame. This frame will also give me a way to attack jamb extensions and stool.

I'm flexible with sill depth, though I don't want it to extend past the outside face of the brick.

If I choose #2 I need to know the distance between the outside of the frame and the screen housing. I call Simonton and they sent over their CAD drawings, but it doesn't indicate the distance on the bottom and sides. Do you happen to know this? Is it the same on all DH windows?

Thanks.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

no I do not.
But I would get an actual sample and measure the offset.

jschu121

#5 Post by jschu121 »

Any preference for mounting location?

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Probably into the brick so that I could get as much jamb depth to the interior.

jschu121

#7 Post by jschu121 »

The brick opening is slightly recessed on the header and sill so I decided to use the brick opening as a stop for the window. I plan to caulk against the inside face of the brick before inserting the window and then going around the outside joint between the window and brick with caulk as well.

The question is what type of caulk? Quad seems highly recommended, but does it set too quickly to use in the initial caulking against the brick face? If so, would it be better to use an elastomeric caulk for that and Quad on the outside? Thanks for the advice.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Quad would be fine if you move quickly.
By that I meann window in the hole and bedded in the caulk before it skins over.

jschu121

#9 Post by jschu121 »

That's the dilemma. Most of the windows require about 12 ft of caulked surface, with a picture window getting up to 28 ft. I plan to fit the window, predrill, remove, caulk, and set it. How long before it skins over?

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Depends , but if you prefit and drill you will have enough time.

jschu121

#11 Post by jschu121 »

Thanks for the advice. I did use quad all around, and found it remained workable for a sufficiently long time. Another question related to caulking - Most of the other windows have an angle iron header that is offset 1/2" - 5/8" inside of the brick stop. So, if I put the window in the opening with the top against the angle iron, there will be a 1/2" - 5/8" gap along the sides.

I was thinking spray foam, let it cure, and caulk. Quad is pretty thick and they recommend a 3/8" bead to begin with. Is this gap too wide to caulk and should I use back rod instead of foam?

Thanks as always.

TheWindowNerd

#12 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would use low expansion foam and then bend trim coil or use RWD Extend Trim.