EARTHWISE WINDOWS

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
sherwood112

EARTHWISE WINDOWS

#1 Post by sherwood112 »

hello everyone, I live in the northeast , CT and was looking for anyone with a review of earthwise vinyl windows. my contractor gave me an estimate of 300.00 per window includes install and new aluminum on exterior, was looking at 10 windows for 3K, to me not a bad price. windows are low e glass with grids, lifetime wareanty. talked to some of his customers and they loved the windows, they look good to me. any comments ?

Windows on Washington

Re: EARTHWISE WINDOWS

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

What model window?

$300 a window is not a bad price, however, I can guarantee you that you are not getting a good window and potentially a good installation for that number.

sherwood112

#3 Post by sherwood112 »

Windows on Washington wrote:What model window?

$300 a window is not a bad price, however, I can guarantee you that you are not getting a good window and potentially a good installation for that number.

thanks for responding, i have to see what model it is, the install should not be a problem because my installer did a previous siding and install for me . top quality. basically just wanted to know if the windows were ok, prob won't be in the house forever . just looking for an average window. thanks

buddy110

#4 Post by buddy110 »

I'm very familiar with Earthwise. They're made in PA under the Slocum umbrella. Depending on the line you get they're "ok". For $300.00 you aren't going to get a great window, but properly installed they will suffice.

Skydawggy

#5 Post by Skydawggy »

sherwood112 wrote:

thanks for responding, i have to see what model it is, the install should not be a problem because my installer did a previous siding and install for me . top quality. basically just wanted to know if the windows were ok, prob won't be in the house forever . just looking for an average window. thanks

I'm not sure I would assume that someone competent in siding would automatically be a good choice for a window installer. I worked with a guy years ago who was an absolute wizard with siding and trim work. he could fabricate nearly anything to cap wood. In fact we were on several HOA websites as the only pre-approved siding and trim contractor. Homeowner didn't even have to submit to the ARC for pre-approval if they were using us. You guessed it. He couldn't do windows. We finally stopped letting him try B/C of the call backs. Mainly for Air infiltration. Not saying this is true with your guy but, it never hurts to get a few references on window installs just to be sure. Never assume anything.

buddy110

#6 Post by buddy110 »

Skydawggy wrote:
sherwood112 wrote:

I'm not sure I would assume that someone competent in siding would automatically be a good choice for a window installer. I worked with a guy years ago who was an absolute wizard with siding and trim work. he could fabricate nearly anything to cap wood. In fact we were on several HOA websites as the only pre-approved siding and trim contractor. Homeowner didn't even have to submit to the ARC for pre-approval if they were using us. You guessed it. He couldn't do windows. We finally stopped letting him try B/C of the call backs. Mainly for Air infiltration. Not saying this is true with your guy but, it never hurts to get a few references on window installs just to be sure. Never assume anything.

Good point.
When I did my first window job in the early 80's I had no idea what I was doing, however, I was a top notch sider.

sherwood112

#7 Post by sherwood112 »

buddy110 wrote:I'm very familiar with Earthwise. They're made in PA under the Slocum umbrella. Depending on the line you get they're "ok". For $300.00 you aren't going to get a great window, but properly installed they will suffice.

Well my installer has done siding and windows for me before, and am happy with that, my concern is the windows, I know its an average window, for 300.000 . won't be in this home forever and they will replace 45 year old wood windows, so just looking for something more modern. I can go with a Harvey window for the same price, but my guys says that earthwise can fabricate quicker and respond to any problems better than Harvey, and he has had no complaints with them. so its my choice. Harvey vs. earthwise. .......question what line of window by earthwise is the better window? thanks for any comments

sherwood112

#8 Post by sherwood112 »

Skydawggy wrote:
sherwood112 wrote:

what lwindow in the earthwise lineup would you recommend, i'm not worried about the install, my guy did windows for me before and they were great, they were Harvey, but this time he seems to think earthwise is better. what do you estimate he base line in earthwise go for wholesale each $ to the contractor. If he is charging me 300 to install, what is he getting the windows for 150.00 ??

sherwood112

#9 Post by sherwood112 »

Well my installer has done siding and windows for me before, and am happy with his work, my concern is the windows, I know its an average window, for 300.000 . won't be in this home forever and they will replace 45 year old wood windows, so just looking for something more modern. I can also go with a Harvey window for the same price, but my guys says that earthwise can fabricate quicker and respond to any problems better than Harvey, and he has had no complaints with them. so its my choice. Harvey vs. earthwise. .......question what line of window by earthwise is the better window? thanks for any comments......

what lwindow in the earthwise lineup would you recommend,? . can anyone estimate the wholesale cost of one window , base line in earthwise, If he is charging me 300 to install, what is he getting the windows for 150.00 ?? or less

$300 a window is not a bad price, however, I can guarantee you that you are not getting a good window and potentially a good installation for that number.[/quote]

thanks for responding, i have to see what model it is, the install should not be a problem because my installer did a previous siding and install for me . top quality. basically just wanted to know if the windows were ok, prob won't be in the house forever . just looking for an average window. thanks[/quote]

I'm not sure I would assume that someone competent in siding would automatically be a good choice for a window installer. I worked with a guy years ago who was an absolute wizard with siding and trim work. he could fabricate nearly anything to cap wood. In fact we were on several HOA websites as the only pre-approved siding and trim contractor. Homeowner didn't even have to submit to the ARC for pre-approval if they were using us. You guessed it. He couldn't do windows. We finally stopped letting him try B/C of the call backs. Mainly for Air infiltration. Not saying this is true with your guy but, it never hurts to get a few references on window installs just to be sure. Never assume anything.[/quote]

what lwindow in the earthwise lineup would you recommend, i'm not worried about the install, my guy did windows for me before and they were great, they were Harvey, but this time he seems to think earthwise is better. what do you estimate he base line in earthwise go for wholesale each $ to the contractor. If he is charging me 300 to install, what is he getting the windows for 150.00 ??

Skydawggy

#10 Post by Skydawggy »

Why are you so concerned about what he is making? He's either offering you a good competitive price or he isn't. Please don't try and use these forums as ammunition to try and beat him down on his price. It sounds to me like you have someone who does good work and that you can trust to do a good install.

I'll defer to Buddy on the Earthwise quality. I haven't looked at them for a few years and when I did, I wasn't impressed at that time.

sherwood112

#11 Post by sherwood112 »

i'm not concerned with what he is making, just trying to see if i am buying a cheapie window, however i do trust his judgement, and realize 300.00 for window and install is not giving me an outstanding window, but it fits my budget .... just want an ok window for the next 20 years, with a lifetime warranty, don't think i can go wrong. 10 double hung windows for $3000.00 installed ........ .just trying to see who has purchased earthwise and what problems anyone has encountered. thanks for all your responses. this is a great forumn for answers on vinyl windows..... :wink:

canuck

#12 Post by canuck »

first you said you may sell your home so you are not looking for anything great,now you are saying you may be there 20 years. thats a long time. why not invest in something that will last rather than doing the job 2 or three times which i guarantee you will do with a $300 window.
there is a reason why certian products are cheaper than others. certain contractors just can't magically procure high quality materials cheaper than everyone else.
i would also look at simonton or sunrise.

sherwood112

#13 Post by sherwood112 »

well I might be there or might not be there. no one can't predict the future, everyone has a budget. I figure $3000.00 for 10 windows with a lifetime warranty, If they are average... thats ok... never heard of windows having to be replaced 2 or three times over a 20 year period, just beacause they are priced at 300.00.... maybe a bad install, but i could be wrong...

If earthwise is that kind of window then those are the comments i'm looking for... I assume the lifetime warrantly should take care of any windows gone bad over the years, ie seal failure etc. . unless they fail to honor the warranty whats the risk ?....... if they are installed right........ I would think average at best would be something to consider. thanks for all the comments....... ... just looking for comments on whether the earthwise name is average or junk.... seems llike this forum provides usefull comments on the quality of vinyl windows... so an average guy is looking for an average window. is earthwise average ? thanks.. for now i'll take buddy 110's advice " Depending on the line you get they're "ok". For $300.00 you aren't going to get a great window, but properly installed they will suffice."

Skydawggy

#14 Post by Skydawggy »

I would agree with Buddy110

buddy110

#15 Post by buddy110 »

Sure you get a lifetime warrantee, but who fixes the window when parts keep breaking? The installer?? Think again. Their gonna charge you for every service, and rightly so...That can add up, not only in dollars but frustration. If you can handle that then a $300 window is all you baby

I was at the Earthwise plant this past winter. I looked at their new flagship window which Dixie home improvement sells. It carries the GHK seal :roll: I wasn't impressed. The plant looked dated, almost antiquated and the profiles were Dayton. Never liked anything Dayton made. The new flagship window is a suede shoes dream. I mean to say it has a lot of no tech talking points that amount to nothing more than smoke and mirrors. IOW it was an average window, with a low wholesale price and the Good housekeeping seal...

What bothered me the most was that they actually fudged an NFRC rating for a company who sells their windows here in the NE. I.E. They had the NFRC list a retail installation company (Dreamhouse windows) as a manufacturer even though Slocum (earthwise) manufactures the window.. Dreamhouse BTW filed for bankruptcy this past February. That turned me completely off to them. They are willing to lie to the world to sell their product. I would never buy from a company like that.

So to answer your question. Although I don't care much for Harvey, I would recommend them over Earthwise.