Simonton 6500 Series installed by Home Depot Home Services

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
Sppeterson

Simonton 6500 Series installed by Home Depot Home Services

#1 Post by Sppeterson »

We just had 20 Simonton windows (the 6500 Series) installed through Home Depot. The windows are beautiful. We couldn't be more pleased. I have seen significant negative remarks about Home Depot on this site. I think I've read the entire site content in my research on the subject of replacement windows. I just want to say that we found the Home Depot team (we are in Roanoke VA) to be really good...and the intallation process was very professional and they did an absolutely beautiful job.

bhagg

Re: Simonton 6500 Series installed by Home Depot Home Services

#2 Post by bhagg »

Our Home Depot in Northern KY doesn't install windows so I think you're lucky they have someone to do it.

barklessdog

#3 Post by barklessdog »

I would like to know the process that you went throught at HD. I purchased Lowes' top of the line Atrium windows last fall and, after dealing with the horrible air leaks all winter, Lowe's is taking them back. I've been shopping for top quality windows to replace these and I've been told to stay away from the "big box" stores (HD). The remarks about HD seem all negative. What company did your installation?

Skydawggy

#4 Post by Skydawggy »

The problem with HD is not that every install is poorly done. It's that you never know whether you will get a good crew or not. With a local company not only will you probably get a better price, you have a greater assurance of a top notch installation because you have an installer you can check out references on and actually go see the quality of workmanship BEFORE you purchase.

Every consumer agency warns not to pay 100% of the money up front but, HD and Lowes require it. Most contractors don't ask for more than 33% up front and the balance once you have had a chance to inspect the work to make sure you are pleased.

And lastly, I have to ask......... how do you know you got a good install? Do you know what a good install even is? Or are you just going by the cosmetic finish you see? Good caulking and trim capping don't mean the window install is structurally sound. Did they use wood blocks or a backer rod to provide support? Did they seat the window properly and then apply closed cell foam?

I have rarely talked to anyone who wasn't pleased soon after having windows installed. I have listened to them go on about what a great job the installer did and how they would highly recommend him. I have also, talked to countless people 5 and 10 years later who wished they could get their hands around the installers throat for just 5 minutes. :lol:

barklessdog

#5 Post by barklessdog »

I live south of Roanoke, Virginia and I really hate this window shopping AGAIN. I've had 2 contractors look at the Lowe's job from last October. With the "wrapping on" you'd think it was a great job. Pull the flashing back and - to quote the pros - "what a joke"; it's a hack job!

The contractors I spoke with today both pointed out the same issues and asked how much water I had entering the house. I told them that I hadn't noticed water but the wind blows through like a hell bent "Nor'easter".

The windows presented today were Ply Gem and - uh - Atrium (the same Atrium windows I purchased from Lowes). Tomorrow I meet with Windows Direct from Roanoke to look at Simonton.

Skydawggy what is your opion?

Skydawggy

#6 Post by Skydawggy »

Don't know much about Windows Direct. You know what to do as far as checking them out, references etc. Get them to quote the Reflections 5500/Prism Platinum and also the Impressions 9800. Get a price on Super Spacer and consider it if it doesn't add too much to the cost. To be honest, I'm still not sold on the benefits of SS. I'd get them to quote on ETC Starter glass.
As far as Atrium and PlyGem, it's going to depend on which model, options, price and install quality.

Post back after you get the estimates and we will advise.

Your post is a good example of a rant I was on the other day on here when someone said they had HD do an install and that they did a great job. My question was "how do you KNOW they did a great job". Just because it looks good and there is no air blowing through the day after the install doesn't mean it's a good installation. I really wonder sometmes where the naivity comes from when dealing with Orange and Blue. Actually I do but, never mind. The poster never responded to my questions.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#7 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Sppeterson wrote:We just had 20 Simonton windows (the 6500 Series) installed through Home Depot. The windows are beautiful. We couldn't be more pleased. I have seen significant negative remarks about Home Depot on this site. I think I've read the entire site content in my research on the subject of replacement windows. I just want to say that we found the Home Depot team (we are in Roanoke VA) to be really good...and the intallation process was very professional and they did an absolutely beautiful job.
So... you read this entire site without ever asking us one question. You then ignore all you have read and buy from them anyway. Now you come back and proclaim their greatness. :roll:
So, are you a HD window salesman or are you the store manager?

barklessdog

#8 Post by barklessdog »

Skydawggy - got the quotes:

Windows Direct - total for 13 DHW Simonton Reflections 5500 energy saver deluxe $6401.00
Quote includes:
- 1" glass units
- ETC 30 -.24
- Foam Insulation wrap
- Countour grids
- Wrap facings
- Glass brakage warranty
- Super Spacer seal
- 1 tempered glass (bath)
- Install 3 1/2" J channel
- 13 full screens

What impresses me about this company are: he is the owner and in business, with the same company name, for 12 years. Installers are his people and none have been with him less than 8 years. No pressure, knows his product and didn't disparage other brands. Said the windows I have are very good if installed correctly. He came to my house with a folder and my name on it. Wrote the quote in my dining room after the inspection. Gave me a copy with literature on the Simonton Reflections windows and had 11 refernces with name, phone number and address.

Skydawggy

#9 Post by Skydawggy »

Sounds like a pretty good company and a pretty fair price. I like the owners approach.

barklessdog

#10 Post by barklessdog »

Skydawggy,

I received this quote from another local company:

Replace 13 double-hung vinyl replacement windows –
Simonton prism platinum
• 1” IGU thickness
• White
• Welded
• H-Mull facings
• Full screen extruded screen mold
• Sculptured colonial grids
• Low E softcoat
• Argon gas
• Double glazed
• Double strength
• Super spacer seal
• ETC .30
• SHGC .24
• Foam insulation wrap
• One tempered window included for bath
Remove vinyl siding, install 1” X 2” trim, and wrap with aluminum coil.
Caulk, insulate, and trim interior with quarter-round.
Reinstall vinyl siding.
Lifetime glass breakage warranty.
Total Price: $5,880.00

Skydawggy

#11 Post by Skydawggy »

I thought you were comfortable with the first guy?

Prism Platinum and the Reflections 5500 are essentially the same window.

AUpitch1

#12 Post by AUpitch1 »

If you wouldnt mind how much did they quote you? I had the same window quoted in Illinois by Home Depot and they were twice as high as everyother company that used the same window.
Thanks

Danimal67

#13 Post by Danimal67 »

Hi folks,

I'm in San Diego, CA and I am looking to get 5 windows and one patio sliding door installed.
Windows are about 4 foot square, sliding half type, and patio door is 50" wide by 80" tall.

I understand the concept of HD having bad crews, but I did have them install a hot water heater for about $800. A local "highly advertised" plumber wanted $1800 for the exact same heater/install! HD uses AC Delco i think for all this type of stuff, and they included in the price $100 to cover my home inspection permit from my city, who came out and said it was fine.

My point is, it appears to be a fine job, and i saved $1000 and got a great water heater. I want to get this same kind of savings on my window installation. My problem is, i really don't know what to look for from a "pro job" vs. a "hack job".

So, can any of the pros on board here please post a basic tutorial of what we consumers should be looking for from HD installers that would make it a "hack job"? What do we ask for? What do we insists on?

And finally, what should be a realistic price range for my situation with a decent window?
Kinda confused as i seem to find good and bad review on just about every window available here. I just want to keep my home warm, no drafts, no cracks, and save money.
Super spacers? Interceptors? TPS?
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dan

Skydawggy

#14 Post by Skydawggy »

Avoid HD completely. How many bad reviews do you need to read to get the message that you will have no control over the qualty of the install? You will not know if you have a good crew beforehand. Why not put your efforts into finding a great local installer who can provide you with references on jobs done by him?

Danimal67

#15 Post by Danimal67 »

Ecostar, thanks for the reply.

I do understand the variables in HD crews, that's why I was wondering what to specifically look for during the process. But I have a different question all together, perhaps i'll post in another section.

Besides the HD install being scary, what do you guys think of the Jeld-Wen brand they carry? They are a HUGE improvement over the single aluminum junk i have now, they look nice in the store... but i've read that they get a lot of mildew inside. Thoughts?

Again, just about every window i find, i find both good & bad reviews.. it really seems like an expensive crap shoot.

For San Diego, regardless of installer, what would be some of your suggestions for good windows/patio door?

Thanks,
Dan