replace casements with double hung???

For those self-installers
kkoch

replace casements with double hung???

#1 Post by kkoch »

I currently have wood casement windows approx 56" wide x 46" long and was wondering if it is possible to replace with double hung?

Thanks

Windows on Washington

Re: replace casements with double hung???

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

kkoch wrote:I currently have wood casement windows approx 56" wide x 46" long and was wondering if it is possible to replace with double hung?

Thanks
56" wide is probably outside the maximum width for many manufacturers. Are you sure that you don't have your measurements switched up?

i.e. 46" width by 56" height?

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

In most cases you would have to replace them with 2 DH's mulled together or put in 2 singles with you own mull.52'' is the max width for a single DH's for most companies.

Skydawggy

#4 Post by Skydawggy »

Simonton will make a DH window that large but I wouldn't recommend it. It would take 2 people just to clean a window that big.

windowman736

#5 Post by windowman736 »

Based on the size are these two casement windows in each opening? 56" wide is not reccommended for a single d/h.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

... Not too mention it would look weird even if they did make it. Im not a fan of Dh's that are wider than tall. Look at a slider, twin dh, or twin ca.

MacNC

#7 Post by MacNC »

If you are replacing a bedroom window, be sure that the new windows meet the minimum egress width and height for a bedroom. Your building inspector should be able to help with this.

Mac

toddinmn

#8 Post by toddinmn »

MacNC wrote:If you are replacing a bedroom window, be sure that the new windows meet the minimum egress width and height for a bedroom. Your building inspector should be able to help with this.

Mac
This would not be required in MN if the home is owner occupied and has no code compiance orders on the house.